Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Fiero GT vin # locations?

Smile 1986 Fiero GT vin # locations?

Hi I own a fiero gt Automatic based kit and am having trouble with vin inspection at DMV. They need to verify Two vin numbers on the car. I have the windshield tag but not the one under speaker or on door. There is no RPO sticker. I searched the engine and transmission for about nine hours, with no result! Can some please post a picture of the vin location on auto transmission or the V6 engine. Maybe even draw a line on picture, of exact location. I have heard many descriptions that they are under shifter arm on trans, and above starter on engine block, but I found nothing. I have been tearing this beautiful car apart for days, breaking many parts along the way,, and dont know where else to turn. Thanks

Just went through all this with my F40 replica in Mexxico. It was imported from Canada with an assigned vin when the kit was constructed in 1996 in Quebec, Canada. the vin was an oddball- not Fiero or Ferrari. Long story short, after a 3 year importing nightmare, I got the car down to Mazatlan. It was legal here until Feb of 2014, when all import rules changed, and the car could not stay here anymore. I solved the problem by buying a 1986 SE that was legal in Mexico with paperwork, and totally stripped the car for the vin plates and parts. I now have a legal Mexican Fiero Ferrari rebody. Taking the 86 apart taught me a lot, including that there are only two vin plates on the whole car - the windshield dash location, and one on the steering column upper support bracket under the driver's side dash speaker. As anyone can do an engine or trans swap, and many have, any motor ar trans id numbers would not be the same as the chassis numbers anyway - they have their own numbers. Hope this helps you. steve

I have an 85' Fiero GT and according to the owners manual and Haynes manual- there are only 2 places where the Vin number is present- the first on the drivers side dash, visible through the windshield and the other on the original registration- no other locations-Rolf

Ok thanks for the info guys. I finally got the car titled as a special construction.
    I have a massive warning to people who are going to need to do this. When they titled the car as a 2014 special construction, they put the model as 2007 Porsche carrera gt, which it is a replica of. When I went to pay taxes and register the car the told me I "HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON THE VALUE OF A 2007 CARRERA GT"!
    I made a huge scene about the thievery of this and that I was not told this when they asked me what the kit was replicating. Only after hours of talking to the head of DMV, was I able to convince them that it looks more like a porsche boxster that Carrera GT, and they change the title to 1999 boxster. So tread lightly when titling your replica's.

So they are basically going to charge you the fees as though it were an actual Porsche, even though its not and doesn't cost the same as the actual Porsche? Registration is usually calculated by the value of the car, not what it looks like. I can just imagine what my friend is going to pay for registration on his Reventon replica, those are valued at over $2 million and can never be confused for a "cheaper" version Lamborghini lol.
    Something doesn't sound right with this story, what state are you in? There is no way they can charge you fees for an actual Porsche if its NOT an actual Porsche.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by Lamboreplicav12 View Post
    Hi I own a fiero gt Automatic based kit and am having trouble with vin inspection at DMV.

What state DMV are you dealing with ?

Las Vegas Nevada. If you are insinuating somthing, your wrong. The very things you just stated, are what I told them after they broke the news.

This is for road taxes BTW, not sales tax. There is no sales tax on private party sales in Nevada. Road taxes where going to be $950, and only good for one year.

Imagine what Mexico was trying to charge me in import taxes 5 years ago, when my " F40" showed up at the border titled in Canada as such?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamboreplicav12 View Post
    Las Vegas Nevada. If you are insinuating somthing, your wrong. The very things you just stated, are what I told them after they broke the news.

huh ?! .....
    Last edited by Corson008; 09-03-2014 at 05:50 AM.