Thread: How does this diablo roadster steering wheel fit together? need help from builders

How does this diablo roadster steering wheel fit together? need help from builders

Hi all builders how does this steering wheel thing work? I have the cover part but what type of wheel do i need to buy to make it complete? I have only the plastic center fiberglass part with the old fiero wheel which does not fit in as seen in the pics. I do have a column for this. does anyone know where or what kind of steering wheel I need to make this work? Also will I need a adapter? Does this center fiberglass piece have a backing part? Am I missing a second piece of backing fiberglass?

pics of my old fiero steering wheel that does not fit this 98 diablo roadster replica fiberglass center part. you can see that the spokes are way off in the center fiberglass piece.

Last edited by pookgai; 09-01-2014 at 02:12 AM.

That center air bag cover was designed to fit a Grant steering wheel. I think it is this one.
    Grant Steering Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner View Post
    That center air bag cover was designed to fit a Grant steering wheel. I think it is this one.
    Grant Steering Wheels

Thanks jim! I'm still confused about the backing. I know the front will be the airbag of the steering wheel cover. But does the back need something to snap in or hold it? Or is it just the column in the back? I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing to complete the set up. So far I can buy the wheel, I have the front fiberglass airbag cover part, the column and I can buy a adapter if I need it.

Yes, there is a backing piece that goes with that cover.

I don't have the backing for my steering wheel set up because one of my last 4 builders / shops lost so many parts. I have no idea what will fit the backing with so many different models out there. Btw no one seems to be selling the part now days. I may have to go with a newer style 6.0 steering wheel set up instead of my older diablo steering wheel set up because I just can't find the replacement part.
    As far as the 6.0 set up. Is that a easier set up to use? I don't see the need to wrap the wheel and there seems to be no backing needed other than the basic column, adapter, and wheel with the simple round air bag to complete the set up.
    I see MM has the wheel for sale on his site. The set up is for a 88 fiero base set up. Thanks again for all your help Jim. I'm so glad you are one of the great veterans who's been here for so long since I've started. You and others like, MM, Dale, RC, and others has so much knowledge about these cars from experience that we are all so lucky to have you all here. It would be nice if one day we can all meet up again at Carlise.

What is the address for mm website of parts for sale ?

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    What is the address for mm website of parts for sale ?

Here it is,

Scuderia Marinelli - Home