Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

Overheating

I have a Ferrari F40 replica using an Fiero GT. I notice that while driving the temp needle goes between 1/2 and hot. Is this usual for the GT engine? The car has a new thermostat and fluid. Thanks

Do you have a good electric Fan on the radiator ? Spal makes good ones
    Avoid the eBay china ones

The car has the factory fan-I assume it is working-but probably should check the fuse. Does the Fiero usually run hot because of the distance between the engine and radiator?

The stock fiero doesn't usually run hot, so unless you've done a motor swap or put bodywork that blocks airflow there shouldn't be an overheating problem

The distance between the radiator and engine actually helps cool the engine. Most overheating problems I've seen in Fiero's is usually caused by air in the system. Make sure your fan is working, purge all the air out of the coolant lines and you'll probably be fine. Always add coolant/water at the engine, and bleed off the air at the radiator. It takes at least 3 times of topping off at the engine and bleeding the air off at the radiator cap to get all the air out of the lines.

Another tip I have found is to raise the rear of the car as high as possible during the coolant top off when filling at the engine. I can usually squeeze another couple of quarts into it.

Make sure that you have overflow drain/pickup normally that's your cap at the highest point in the system. Any expansion in air will force bubbles/air out and once the air and coolant condenses it will pickup any coolant that is in the reservoir. This is typical setup from factory.
    Magic to this hole thing is rad cap as high as possible half full overflow bottle with pickup tube all the way to the bottom and rest will take care of it self.
    But as others have said it, make sure you have enough air flowing through the rad and properly functioning fan

ditto on what Murcie Me said. Chimaera is right, but Fieros are unique in that the engine is higher than the radiator. park it on a hill facing down, and top it off at the engine.

Never ment to disagree with any one.
    Put an inline adapter with cap on it and add additional overflow bottle in engine bay if you can.

Chimera had a good idea. You can find those inline caps on stock Durango upper radiator hoses. They're around 30$ on EBay.