Thread: V12 engines

V12 engines

Hello everyone!

My name is Todd and I am new here to the forum. I have a few questions and was hoping some of you with chassis/engine experience could help me with your possible V12 engine thoughts please.

I have found a complete running power train, engine and trans. plus all computers, all wiring harnesses and shifter assembly all the way to the knob. All parts are from a 1996 Merc Benz S600 with 77,000 miles on it. Power train still in car and can be test driven and compression tested before it's purchase.

Any and all parts needed to install in a project car will be included computers, wiring harnesses, sensors, relays, fuel pumps, engine mounts and brackets and anything else that is needed.

Can anyone tell me it this would be a good possible set-up for a Lambo project? Murci/Diablo? I assume it will need to be a custom/Chassisworks/Nearc build or would it fit in any donor chassis for any kit and would it need any special adapters/drive axles, etc for installing and getting the power to the wheels? I know I can't just drop it a Fiero and go but what will work? Is there any place for this set-up in any project without a lot if issues is I guess what I am asking.

The cost for the entire power train with everything including a/c is $3500. It is a rear end damaged S600 and I am thinking about possibly making a offer if I can use this in a build down the road. I am looking at doing a Vaydor build first as I have already started sourcing for that.

I came across this and just thought it may be a good V12 power train for a project. Please let me know yay or nay if you think it doesn't work. Thank you all very much and I appreciate everyone's input, good or bad.

Todd

I am assuming that is a front engine, rear drive car? If so you can use the engine and associated parts but you will need a different transmission and an adapter if you are thinking of building a mid-engine car unless you install the engine with the transmission forward into the tunnel and use a V-drive to transmit the power back to the rear wheels. What is the overall length of that engine? That might be a factor as to whether it will fit.

If you're going to build a vaydor then keep the g35 engine or turbo it

Do not try to fit in a Mercedes v12.

Those cars are electronically so connected you can't just plop it in a kit car - without essentially the whole car and all its electronics swapped over like wheel speed sensors , abs etc the car will barely run in limp home mode, better to use an old BMW v12 that is less connected and can actually be swapped . Swapping a v12 is a massive undertaking and only the most experience mechanics can do it. The simple fact you're asking such a question indicate you don't have the background to do it , it will require a master mechanic

Hi Todd.
    You are obviously going mid mount, so you will end up only using the motor.
    The motor & gearbox computers all work together, so the one will not work without the other.

I'm about to fit the same motor in the zonda, & I was going to use a gotech management, but a local company has just launched a new ecu that runs the m120
    v12 with coil on plugs. Called Spitronics mercury.

The best "affordable" gearbox to use is the 01e audi 6 speed from the 19tdi. Then have a adapter, custom flywheel & side shafts made up to spec.
    I will be getting to the engine fitment in a couple of weeks, then you can see exactly whats involved. Its not to major, "depending on what you are use to, & the depth of your pockets":-)
    Cheers Jose'

I'll be watching JoseOSI with great interest. I just read up about the Spitronics Mercury, are you sure it can fire 12 COP's or will it need 6 wasted spark coils to work?

Attachment 28627
    Got the layout of their site, it uses the two 6 way drivers to split the 2 banks.
    Going to be fun to wire up.

Redline

I think it would be a great project, I dont think that you can take a "standard" Murci / Diablo chassis and just drop the M120 in, If Iam not mistaken it is just a bit wider and longer than the BMW but it can fit with a few mods. I would also recommend the Porsche over the Audi because of the TQ that motor can generate, that is what KILLS the audi boxes, and the reason why I opted for the M70. I think the better box would be the Ricardo or Graziano they can take the abuse with no mods and you will be in about the same money as a modded porsche around 7-10k

I think the Haltec can run that motor too..... right Jim Dinner?????

If you are getting the whole car, you might be able to re-coupe some of your investment by selling the modules, wiring, trans, interior etc

So having said that

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haltech will run it and it will now run the drive-by-wire throttles and variable cam controls using the new Elite series.
    JoseOSI - I see it is running COP's in a wasted spark mode. Looks very cool.

Thanks for the info all! I will keep an eye on JoseOSI build using this motor and see how things go. I don't know how long the car I was looking at will be around but the BMW V12's seem to be easy to find and it looks like they have been used alot with a bit more ease on gearbox mating and parts. This was not for my Vaydor build either. Staying with all donor V6 with some upgrades and turbo with that which I have already got.

Good info on the Porsche vs Audi box as I see alot of peeps using both. Looks like the Porsche Cayman 6-speed is quite popular also. I think at this time I will focus on sourcing a few more things (suspension, brake, exhuast upgrades) for the Vaydor build and as I wouldn't even be starting a custom chassis/motor/body build until summer 2015 so I have plenty of time.

The S600 V12 just seemed to be a pretty fair price with those miles and I was thinking of parting out what I didn't need to recoup alot of the cost but I don't know if I want to go down that road.

Curious to see if more Aventador kit/bodys are made over the coming months as I am leaning towards that as next years project....

Thanks again all!