Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: countach roofline repair

Don,
    With some help from K9, I have been able to source this as readily available Pilkington. Now if the Merci windshield I have ordered will fit, all of the glass for this project is off the shelf and under $1,000, I like it.

Coutach Glass

Gentlemen, My name is Ed
    and I'm located in New York. Last year I purchased an unbuilt Sienna Countach kit. The windshield is curved ,is marked Triplex XXX and is just sitting in its place (not glued ). It has a crack in it ,but is still in one piece. so that if someone wanted to make a mold of it , it could be done. The side glass is compound curved and original Sienna still covered in Sienna marked protective wrap. These could probably be 3D printed in ''plastic'' for everyone to try in before we fabricate glass .

COuntach Glass

If as gumby69 states ''Sienna modified rear of roof to accommodate tall people, then they held the roof line at front'' thus leading to the glass problem in side and angles of glass etc. therefore maybe we should lower the rear and not raise the front. I'm not convinced that Lamborghini did not just raise the whole car and lowered the pan for more interior room. This way the lines of the car, all glass , angle , etc. would remain the same. If someone would measure the hight of an LP400 at front and rear top of body, and do the same for LP5000 we may discover the truth .

Ed, welcome to the forum. Where in New York are you, City or Upstate? Either way, we're here to help. I'm upstate New York near Rochester, and am happy to hep you source parts etc if you are intending to build your car..

As for Udo, I can say that according to my interactions with him so far, he is extremely helpful, incredibly talented, and a very welcome (re) addition to the Countach replica scene. Check out his photobucket page, it has to be seen to be believed. And, Udo, sorry, but about 15,000 of the hits on your page are mine....

K9

Quote Originally Posted by K9COP View Post
    Ed, welcome to the forum. Where in New York are you, City or Upstate? Either way, we're here to help. I'm upstate New York near Rochester, and am happy to hep you source parts etc if you are intending to build your car..

As for Udo, I can say that according to my interactions with him so far, he is extremely helpful, incredibly talented, and a very welcome (re) addition to the Countach replica scene. Check out his photobucket page, it has to be seen to be believed. And, Udo, sorry, but about 15,000 of the hits on your page are mine....

K9
    K9 I'm located in New York City. Need to know what steering column you are using? TYhe one on my Sienna seams to be Ford, maybe Scorpio or Merkur but the location of steering wheel is too far back towards, driver . Any ideas ???

Ed;

Can you move the steering column forward and shorten the collapsing section of the column? I have seen several folks push the bottom shaft up toward the steering wheel on cars to be able to move the column forward. The other option would be to take that shaft out of the column and shorten it as well so you still retain the collapsing capability for any crashing. Any way to shorten the intermediate shaft between the column and the steering rack?

Can you take some pics of your sienna and post them here in a new thread? We would all like to see your project.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Ed;

Sorry, I also forgot to ask, can you get some pics of the side glass from Sienna and post in this thread please? Any way to show the compound curve you were talking about?

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Ladies/gents, more info on the whole high/low body saga...

Harry Metcalfe comes through again. A brief explanation at time index 7:01 or thereabouts on the Countach roofline in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8y9Fzzn9k

His other videos definitely deserve watching too for their detail content on the Countach and others, as so does Youtube user 'SaabKyle'. He has some excellent detail stuff on the Countach...

K9
    Last edited by K9COP; 02-24-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Roof line

Quote Originally Posted by dhart99 View Post
    I have an Armstrong Countach kit and along with every kit I have seen the roofline height is wrong at the windsheild. I remenber someone changing this area by pushing the roof up and the windsheild up also . Do these measurements exist somewhere from a real Countach that shows the proper measurement from the floor to the top edge of the windsheild ?

Thanks
    Hey guys, you might be right about the roofline being wrong on some replicas Or you might be wrong???. I have learned Several years after your post in around 2012 that the factory aparently Produced what is now called "Low body" cars up through about 1980 ish. After that they supposedly slightly change the roofline bringing the roof up where it meets the windshield about an inch and a half Reducing the sloped roof to almost dead level and raised the cars ride height about 2". Check this out, you may find some info on the web though it is very limited. My replica also has the slightly sloped roof which I was concerned about until I found out about the low body cars. I would prefer to have mine like the original earlier cars anyway. Some suggest that while this change did not allow much more Headroom it did increase front visibility slightly as they can be somewhat claustrophobic to drive. So it sort of depends on your preference if you like the earlier low body Or the later high body look.