Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick question on touch up paint

Question quick question on touch up paint

Hey guys. I got small nick in my door, so I used a touch up paint to cover it. However, it is not flush with the rest of the paint. How can I level/blend this with the rest of the car? Do I wet sand it before applying clear? Or just wet sand and forget about clear coating the area? It's a very small part of the door, on the edge to be exact.

Thanks for any tips.

Small nicks can be tricky. I had one to repair a week or so ago. If you were able to correctly match the color but it’s shallow. Fill the area with clearcoat so that it is slightly above the original finish. Carefully color sand it after it cures and buff.

The color I am able to match since I got the touch up original from my dealer.

So it's better to fill the chip with the color and have it flushed with the original paint, then apply clear coat and make it above the original finish. Two questions regarding this:

1. Is it better to sand it instead of using a rubbing compound? I purchased a turtle wax rubbing compound from advance auto parts.

2. If I'm sanding, should I sand the basecoat first to make it even and smooth, then apply clearcoat? The same if I rub, to rub the base coat first until smooth then apply clear coat?

Thanks Mac!!

btw here she is

Last edited by bangsters; 10-30-2014 at 10:44 PM.

show a photo of what is to be repaired

@Mac sorry for the very late reply been cold here in NJ and got so busy on a new client. Anyway, here is a pic. It's a small nick, hopefully you can see in the pic.

I'm more concerned about the rust that can develop in the nicked part.

Name:  10737851_10204488265381238_1279586593_o.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  144.6 KB

here is the pic of the touched up part. Looks like it's more visible in the pic than in person. I only touched it up with the base coat. didn't rub nor sand it.

Name:  10807679_10204561573373892_523332264_o.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  145.0 KB

You're done that's good enough

Thanks!! So what about some clear lacquer? The touch up paint I got from my dealer has two bottles, the base coat and some clear.

If you feel the base coat has covered to hiding then add your clear coat in several layers. When it is "filled" above the original paint level then wet sand with 1500 then 2000, compound and buff etc.
    hope this helps.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

thanks. will do. Just to be clear, i only wetsand the clear not the base coat? coz the base coat it a bit higher and you can feel it if you run your finger through. sorry really new to this, never done anything remotely close to this (aside from painting my house inside)lol.