Thread: materials that kit car body shapers are using today .

Talking materials that kit car body shapers are using today .

hey.......... new member here .

I grew up around ed roth........ the crazy monster car builder , in la marada, ca.(where roth lived) .

he won many 1st place awards with his crazy monster cars !

ed would mix a plaster mash up of dual purpose plaster & vermiculite ....... & carve his cars up into championship show winners .
    I noticed a Porsche 917 being shaped with some sort of plaster material/s .

any idea exactly what that material/s......... is/are ?

AL.

Ive read health warnings about vermiculite... I think Homedepot even stopped selling it for this reason.

Fly up to Canada for a cheap winter vacation... sculpt car in snow, cover in tin foil, cover in fiberglass and let it cure for a few days... viola, custom car design shell.

I think these days to get an exact mirror copy of the left and right sides... and also to look for good surface reflections... its probably best to contract your design out to a 3D modeler and CNC carve the whole thing out.

I have tried digging up some clay by a major river in my city... but the quality is no where close to the good stuff... and the good stuff is expensive.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

[(Fly up to Canada for a cheap winter vacation... sculpt car in snow, cover in tin foil, cover in fiberglass and let it cure for a few days... viola, custom car design shell)]
    Here in Canada there is no such thing as cheap winter vacation and we banned Vermiculite For Containing Amphibole Asbestos plus covering cars in tin foil has now been banned as it really confuses the photo radar. https://www.google.ca/search?q=tin+f...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
    These cars are much more affordable and give you the satisfaction that comes from building your own vehicle = VisualSpicer.com | Creative showcase of Taras Lesko, Seattle based Graphic Design Artist

model maker:

Welcome from another relatively new-comer.

I remember Ed "Big Daddy" Roth very well! The Rat Fink King! I was a teen when his cars and art were hitting the market big time. Made a few bucks during the summers putting his designs on T's with magic markers, for kids around the hood, yea I know, I'm a copy cat, (hey I was 13, and could draw. He made some outstanding AND outlandish! cars back "in the day".LOL

To your initial question, I think if you look around, you'll find that more than a few "do-it-yourselfers" use two part (polyureathane) foam to carve main shapes with, then put an outer skin on, usually fiberglass, that can be finished off to a surface that molds can be taken from.

Before the foam and glass method became popular, I remember plaster over chicken wire was fairly common too, but I really think there's a trend to CAD drawings and CNC models, since this is much less labor intensive (initially) and usually produces a more accurate end result.

There are many here that know much more about it than I could ever even pretend to, so hopefully, they will be along to provide you an answer that might help you get started.

The "old-timey" methods will still work, and I use them myself, but I don't have, know, or use CAD and have no access to a CNC machine. If I'm going to make a new part, I will generally use the foam with a glass skin, to make a mold.

I mostly just wanted to say hi, and comment that it was great to see somebody else that not only remembers Ed Roth, but maybe actually knew him?

Lots of good guys here, don't be afraid to ask about things.

HAGO!

OH BY THE WAY ... if you want to know how to make bodies, small parts, molds and how to work with fiberglass, etc. this site has excellent information, step by steps and photos. Oh Ya the guy is really good at what he does...
    When My Brain Leaks, the Drops Drip Here.

Remember the Rat Fink Club? I am membership #3.