Thread: Lamborghini Tesla Hybrid?

Lamborghini Tesla Hybrid?

Hey, I'm Jason. Thanks for stopping by my post. I'm looking to find out something about a Lamborghini project. Now, I know this website is a lot of kit car people but I'm looking to find the answer of something I have. Here:
    If I were to buy a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo, used of course (doesn't matter much), could I then put a tesla engine INSIDE of the car. Along with the other bits and pieces needing to turn the car into a Tesla, but with a Lamborghini Chassis? (The idea is crazy, I know.)
    I find this project something to be fun, and memorable. I'm not sure how many people have put electric style engines inside Super Cars such as the Gallardo, but I definitely love to go about doing something like this.
    Please, try and explain to me the procedures that would need to go into doing something like this. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Procka View Post
    Hey, I'm Jason. Thanks for stopping by my post. I'm looking to find out something about a Lamborghini project. Now, I know this website is a lot of kit car people but I'm looking to find the answer of something I have. Here:
    If I were to buy a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo, used of course (doesn't matter much), could I then put a tesla engine INSIDE of the car. Along with the other bits and pieces needing to turn the car into a Tesla, but with a Lamborghini Chassis? (The idea is crazy, I know.)
    I find this project something to be fun, and memorable. I'm not sure how many people have put electric style engines inside Super Cars such as the Gallardo, but I definitely love to go about doing something like this.
    Please, try and explain to me the procedures that would need to go into doing something like this. Thank you
    I'm pretty sure that Tesla won't support you in any way out of liability concerns. I had a similar project in mind using a salvage Tesla chassis.

How much money and years of labor do you have to blow in this project?
    What's your mechanical background and skill level ?

Without those two taken care of, don't even waste time daydreaming about this

Bluntly, but in a serious attempt to help, I have three observations about this. First, the "Can it be done?" question comes up from time to time and it always has the same answer. It absolutely can, all it takes is time and money. Second, you do not need Tesla to get a similar electric drivetrain, it is a mail order item in numerous catalogs. Third, if you have to ask what the procedure is, you are obviously unskilled in the procedure and have no business attempting it yourself.

Thanks for replying. I Mainly use this site to learn about cars and get some of my questions answered. I'm not a skilled mechanic, I'm only someone trying to learn about how to put together cars, and more info on cars in general. I love daydreaming, it's something to use my creativity in. My uncle is a very skilled mechanic. He wants to build something different, so I'm just thinking of things. I think putting an electric engine into a Gallardo would be a cool thing. So whats so wrong with that?

It would be a cool thing . But kind of a waste of time to waste energy to talk or think about if you don't have the time skills and money required to actually do it

the gallardo donor car , EV drivetrain and getting it put together will take six figures of cash (can't get a car loan on something like this ) and that's assuming you do all the work yourself . Add years of labor and years of frustration

Add another $50-100k to have someone do it for you

You can get off the shelf components and build one. There is no cheap way to do a quality build. Your off the shelf components won't have half the performance of a Tesla system and as said Tesla won't help you with parts sales or advice.

If the truth be known by the time you (we or us) figure out how to put electric motors into cars we will all be flying around town on the New "Mcfly 100XL" Hover Boards.
    HEY NOW---- IT COULD HAPPEN !!!

Installing an electric motor in place of an IC engine has been done countless times so that isn't a big deal. Even the controller and other electronics are readily available. The big issue is the batteries. If you want Tesla range and performance you will need to duplicate their battery design. Installing the Tesla battery pack in another car will certainly be problematic. Buying a Gallardo, even used, and converting it to electric with Tesla performance will probably end up costing you more than either a new Gallardo or Tesla.