Thread: 1000 lbs torque 1000 hp vw 4 cylinder (temp)

1000 lbs torque 1000 hp vw 4 cylinder (temp)

I am advertising an idea I have.
    The vw engine produces maybe 75 hp, but if you store the power while not driving in the form of compressed air, you can produce more by releasing it in a burst effect. Have the engine compress the air with mechanical advantage for 10 minutes, store it in a i.e. 30 gallon carbon fiber air tank, then release the high psi to turbine connected to the driveshaft. Just like a wind up toy car only with compressed air instead of a spring.
    This idea is free for the taking.

The more PSI you try to store the higher the input energy required. The output energy will never equal or exceed the input energy. The compressed air may give a brief burst of energy (torque) but the equipment to produce, store and use it costly and heavy. There are cheaper and lighter ways of doing this readily available already (eg: turbochargers, superchargers, nitrous etc.).... explore an electric over hydraulic system instead. IMHO

I might be wrong but I think that the Porsche 918 race car used a flywheel in place of the passenger seat to successfully get the same effect.

Just google compressed air Powred cars they've already done this

Peugeot is putting this in their small cars.

Peugeot highlights its Hybrid Air technology in new demonstrator car