Thread: Windshield cutting

Patron Class Member

Windshield cutting

Has anyone on this site cut a windshield without it cracking immediately or shortly thereafter?

Macgyver cut down a couple screens for his 430 project. It worked well but I think his second screen cracked after it was installed. Not sure if it was done during install or after.

There have also been some builders that have used water jet to cut a screen?

there are lots of Youtube vids out there showing how to do it as well if you haven't tried that yet.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Like Don said , check youtube, using a drywall router with a diamond bit and water to cut the glass. It is better to blast/grind than to cut the glass it will not crack as easily .

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Macgyver cut down a couple screens for his 430 project. It worked well but I think his second screen cracked after it was installed. Not sure if it was done during install or after.

There have also been some builders that have used water jet to cut a screen?

there are lots of Youtube vids out there showing how to do it as well if you haven't tried that yet.

Good luck
    Don
    Just to clarify, The windshield cracking was just plain my fault during install. Not due to cutting the glass.

Using a diamond router bit takes a full day to cut one windshield. You must move slow and keep a constant flow of water spraying on the bit at all times.