Thread: Engine Selection for a new build

Question Engine Selection for a new build

Hi,

I am very new in this, never done that before or have any experience with it from mechanical perspective. However, I feel I can build a track car from scratch with my metal working skills but I need a lot of help in the mechanical department.

I am still in the research phase and I was thinking about building v6 turbo charged mid-rear engine car mounted transversely with a transaxle transmission. However, I can seem to find engines/transmission that fits my category. Is there a "plug and play" engines/transmission for this setup or I will have to get an engine then a transmission and converter to fit them together.

Thanks again and excuse my newbie questions

You have several options for your transverse engine/Trans setup.

• GM
      • 3.8 Buick with Auto trans or manual trans
      • F40 GM 6 speed transmission (I think...)
      • 3900 V6 GM fits up against the newer F23 GM 5 spd transmissions
      • Lots of transverse V6's with various transmissions in a lot of GM cars
      • Go to Pennock's Fiero Forum and find all kinds of V6 and V8 swaps using transverse transmissions

• Ford
      • Several V6 combinations in the Ford arena as well that I can think of
      • I don't know the details on those though as I have concentrate more in the GM world with Fieros

Do a Google search for Transverse V6 and you get LOTs of reading available to you. Almost too much....

Good luck with your investigation

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I think I read the Northstar has the same GM metric belhousing that will bolt to the GM F40 6 speed in the late G6

The MTX75 from a 2000 Cougar with the 2.5 V6 will bolt to the Duratec 3.0 and 3.5 V6. I'm adding a turbo to a 99 tauras 3.0L duratec (the 4 cam 24valve, not the vulcan pushrod angine) in a Kemlark (Fauxrarri Dino)

Also, the early 2000's Passat has a logutudinal V6 and is availible in a stick

I believe the Maxima with the 3.5 V6 is front drive.

Look to any of the sportier 4 door sedans. The accord was availible (but not common) with a stick and V6

If an automatic is OK, the world is your oyster.

An underappriciated but fabulous auto-FWD v6 is the Chrysler 3.5 they used in the premium intrepid, concord, LHS and first gen 300M. Longitudinal FWD and even in the older early 90's made 225 HP in stock trim.

Check out engine used in Noble M400

I'd suggest you look at existing cars similar to what you're trying to do for engine choices. For example, Noble M400. It looks like they used a DOHC Ford Duratec V6 w/Getrag 6sp manual. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M400
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

Quote Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
    I'd suggest you look at existing cars similar to what you're trying to do for engine choices. For example, Noble M400. It looks like they used a DOHC Ford Duratec V6 w/Getrag 6sp manual. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M400

Do you know what production car the Getrag 6 speed is used in? The Getrag F40 6 speed is used in the pontiac G6 I think, but it has the GM metric bellhouse pattern. I couldn't find where to get that transaxle. The earlier Nobles used the 5 speed MXT75 I'm using.

I'm 99% certain the F40 six speed is not made by Getrag. If Wikipedia is correct, it was designed by GM Powertrain - Europe. If that's what you're looking, then there is a list of applications on the Wiki site too.

Make sure there there is a huge support/resource group for your choice of engine/transmission. From experience... transverse engines are a packaging delight but a maintenance nightmare. If you are going through the steps to build almost from scratch id also consider an inline solution as most mid engine super cars have done this for a various design and engineering reasons.
    2003 InfinitI G35 Coupe with Brembo Brake and Suspension Package + Vortech Supercharger
    1987 Fiero GT with Turbo Charged 4.3 V6 + Syclone Intake and Management

Quote Originally Posted by VortechG35 View Post
    Make sure there there is a huge support/resource group for your choice of engine/transmission. From experience... transverse engines are a packaging delight but a maintenance nightmare. If you are going through the steps to build almost from scratch id also consider an inline solution as most mid engine super cars have done this for a various design and engineering reasons.

And I would strongly advise that if you're building from scratch and can, make the engine/transmission/rear suspension cradle such that it can fairly easily be dropped out the bottom of the car for major work like a new clutch. Make sure you can work on it, because you will have to.

Its funny to me when a 1 post member drops a big, open ended question and then...................hello ?

Disappears.

Where do they go?

At least thank the people here who helped and took the time to answer.

Just my.2 cents

Vince
    Remember, there is always next year.

11 Turley St, West Ipswich, QLD, 4305, Australia
    Good luck to your project maly-miller. Just wondering how is it so far with all the advices and help from this forum? : ) http://turleys.com.au/