Thread: Need Advice - SEMA Project

Need Advice - SEMA Project

Hi Everyone

I'm a customer based in Dubai and a couple of years ago I started on a project for a highly modified customised Toyota MR2 Spyder. This project will hopefully be presented SEMA Car Show in Las Vegas in 2016. The garage that is doing the work for me is based in the USA and is very reputable, known for doing a lot of high-end custom work on cars. So far I am quite happy with their workmanship and professionalism with the project, however recently I have become slightly concerned with the accounts regarding the amount they are charging me for labor. However I am not very experienced with this sort of custom work for a show car of this calibre (SEMA standard).

I was hoping that someone may be able to enlighten me on whether the prices mentioned and the hours put in (mentioned in the attachments below) are the standard for this project category or whether I am being overcharged (considering I am doing it from many thousands of miles away and am not familiar with US prices).

I would appreciate any input you guys might have as given my relative inexperience, it would be invaluable.

Cheers!
    Last edited by mechaniac; 05-09-2015 at 07:11 AM.

Your attachment is too small to read

Sorry about that.
    Uploading attachments again.
    Last edited by mechaniac; 05-09-2015 at 07:12 AM.

any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

It all looks good to me. It is hard to tell exactly what your project is but $80,000+ for a SEMA worthy car is typical, not unreasonable. My bigger concern is your statement that you are hoping to present at SEMA. It is invitation only, do you have one?

No invitation yet, still working on it.lol

Their custom intake manifold is costing me $8000 does it sound reasonable for a 4 cyl?

You've spent $90,000 basically just to modify the engine and engine compartment .
    That's an absurd amount . But yes it's not uncommon for sema builds to cost $200-300,000 total
    Considering you still have body , paint , interior etc I can see this project totaling $300-500,000

He did not modify an engine, he built a new one. The invoices show a block, head, valvetrain, etc. . Any exotic and one-off engine like that is going to be $40,000+, and R&D will add more, four cylinder or any other. Consider the other items, the fuel cell, fuel system, interior, convertible top and so on, and $80,000+ seems a bargain. Welcome to the world of SEMA.

Thanks guys! I feel relieved.
    I as estimating a budget of upto 200k anyways,but its always worth being extra diligent.
    Much appreciated

Now I may change my mind. $80,000 to this point seems appropriate, but another $120,000 to finish the interior and bodywork? What are you building?
    Last edited by 76mx; 05-09-2015 at 08:37 PM.