Thread: Newbie intro - newbie motorhead - newbie to kit car ( SS100 )

Newbie intro - newbie motorhead - newbie to kit car ( SS100 )

Hi Folks.
    I just picked up a kit car shell the other day. I always thought it would be fun to have a kit car with the TD body style and a local guy was selling an SS100 shell the other day. It was a decent price I think so I went for it.
    It's designed for a Mustang II innards but all it came with was a suspension, and even that is missing several bits. I will keep an ear to the ground for a donor car, but I wonder if I can broaden my options for that.

Locally there are a couple XJ6 for reasonable prices. One is within 15 minutes and it has problems but runs. Jaguar parts are undoubtedly much more expensive, but maybe it would be cool to have that tucked inside it? That car is a 1992 and it has the IRS, but that might be impossible to fit to this kit - I don't know. It would be nice to be able to use a bunch of Jaguar parts for the donor, but if they won't fit then it's not worth it of course. Anybody have an idea whether a '92 XJ6 (with straight 6) could take the place of a donor car for a kit designed for a Mustang II ?

Thanks for any help.

Here are a couple quick snaps of what followed me home:

an ad vs. what I bought. I'm pretty sure it's an Eagle Coach Work kit based on this and what I've seen for other kit makes.

Hello,
    Could you tell me more clearly what major components are missing ? When you use the term 'innards' it is unclear what you mean. Is the engine and transmission not in the car ? As far as using a different donor car other than what the kit was designed for, you may be setting yourself up for a TON of additional work, like welding and fabricating all kinds of brackets and mounts, spacers etc. Are you skilled in this area and have an arsenal of tools handy? If not, be prepared to pay someone to do the work for you. It gets expensive very very quickly. Best advice, use the parts intended for the kit and put jaguar emblems on it and enjoy. Regards, Vince
    Remember, there is always next year.

Agreed with Vince

Yes you can make a jaguar engine transmission and rearend work - but you'll have to fabricate brackets , probably shorten the driveshaft and narrow the rear end . If you're capable of doing that go for it! Otherwise use the parts designed for the car

I thought better of this and just sold this thing off today. I was just relieved to see it go down the road, and I think it went to a good home.

Thanks for the replies though.

Hey, I have one of these, can you connect me with who you sold it to so we can work together on our restos? Thanks, John