Thread: Paddle shift question... Chassisworks tube chassis...

Paddle shift question... Chassisworks tube chassis...

Hello again! 2 posts in one day! =)

I have a paddle shift question... Years ago I built a Chassisworks tube chassis with a SB350/Auido 5000 engine configuration. I used the Chassisworks spec'd steering column from an 87-88 Chevrolet Camaro and the two shift cable set-up to the Audi transaxle...

This time around, I'd like to use a paddle shift setup to the same engine/transaxle configuration. Can someone tell me if the paddle shift setup will work on the Camaro steering column with the Audi 5000 (016) transaxle, or will I have to adapt another steering column? If I have to adapt, can someone steer me in the right direction?... Which column and who is offering the paddle shift assembly?

Thanks again! Any help would be greatly appreciated! =)

Paddle shift doesn't work well on a manual transmission. You need to slow down the shifts so that you don't ruin the sychronizers.

Damn! I wasn't aware of that txbuilber... Thank you for the information. Would you know which transaxle is being used to work with the SBC to be able to use paddle shift?

The ZF 5HP19 from some Audi models is the only one I know of that can be easily adapted. I have done some adapters for that one to the LS engines but it can also be fitted to a SBC.

I Believe it can also be done on the bmw auto version that has tiptronic, I have a 1997 750 v12 to shift it with paddles only takes two wires connected to the trans.
    http://bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/610491/
    Last edited by Lambolex; 06-22-2015 at 12:36 AM.

you can also look at the chrysler 300 auto transaxle

Wow! This is great information, thanks guys! I'm familiar with the SBC/Audi 016 setup only and would like to try something new. Is anyone still making the paddle shift? Which steering column are builders using to have it fit best?...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorBC View Post
    Wow! This is great information, thanks guys! I'm familiar with the SBC/Audi 016 setup only and would like to try something new. Is anyone still making the paddle shift? Which steering column are builders using to have it fit best?...

Thanks again!
    Check out the ZF 5HP24. It's used in all sorts of cars, and I know for a fact that it is a plug and play paddle shift option in a Range Rover L322. Many Audis and Jaguars use it too.... and many others....:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_5HP_transmission#5HP24

K9

Quote Originally Posted by K9COP View Post
    Check out the ZF 5HP24. It's used in all sorts of cars, and I know for a fact that it is a plug and play paddle shift option in a Range Rover L322. Many Audis and Jaguars use it too.... and many others....:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_5HP_transmission#5HP24

K9
    Is that transmission front wheel drive only? That is what he will need to replace the 016. Contact Scott at Advanced Automotion and ask him about a paddle shift option for the 016 and other manual transmissions.

Thanks yet again! Will give Scott a call, as well as check out the ZF 5HP24! 👍🏼