Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acura Legend Body Kit Design Advice

Acura Legend Body Kit Design Advice

Hi friends and fellow mad mechanics, pleasure to be here! I am seeking advice/direction designing ground effects for my 89 Acura. Having experience with fiberglass application, shaping panels, and painting I feel confident I can produce a quality product. My difficulty digging into this project is definitely the design aspect. I want my car to look lowered and cool but not overdone. I've studied pics of "body kits" for 90's Honda cars but am hoping the auto guru's here can tell me what the heck I'm actually seeing or better yet looking for...

Lurking the past few months I want to say how impressive is the ability of the members here, it's mindblowing. I've read through MANY of the build diaries and compared to my dabbling the builds from frame and mechanics to body and interior are beautiful masterpieces. Thanks to the open discussions I have already picked up many techniques I've (crudely) applied to putting my vision to reality. I hope a small project like mine is not below the consideration of the high craftsmanship displayed at MM...

Sorry to ramble I want to get in 3 posts and show some photos to share my ideas and where the work is at today. I haven't searched out opinions in my Acura forum because those guys are such purists, they frown upon certain mods. They will laugh me off the board at this point, though when painted I will proudly show off my stuff.

my baby

Windows "paint" haha, cannot get the hang of more elaborate editing programs.

Ahh the "Admiration" kit (for the 2nd Gen Legend), hand down the most desired kit which is now unavailable and never made for the previous (my) model.

So any thoughts on lowering the wheel arch as drastically as I've drawn up? Also I'm feeling the lower additions/spoiler may not need to be so low to get an attractive result. I've got some photos of the initial shaping I'll share soon if there is some response. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I don't think you ever want to lower the wheel arches. That black car just has a lowered suspension and big wheels/tires, which fill the wheel openings better than the stock tires. It might be worth making add-on (box) wheel flares (for wider OAW).
    I think you need to build up a serious car, finished and really cool, and THEN, based on reaction to it, you will know if it could be a hit package. It will have to offer something from every view plus some performance advantages. AND, a dynamite graphics package is going to be very important.
    Last edited by aflo; 06-27-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks for your reply. I've found the Legend sits very low (scraping driveways, etc.) and there is no front camber kit available. My difficulty next to auto design fundamentals is my piss-poor budget! As far as "package" I hope I didn't make it sound as if this was a business venture of any type, I'm doing this strictly for pleasure, getting my feet wet. My thought is if I can't bring the ride down to the street, bring the street to it! I understand why wheel wells are not usually altered, but even lowered with giant wheels this Honda has the most obnoxious gargantuan arches that after 10 years I cannot learn to accept. I've always liked the 90's body kits if done tastefully. Because of extreme rust deterioration I have to rebuild the rockers anyways, why not have some fun and experiment?

I am already puzzled, I will admit that! But how can anyone defend those odd, bloated wheel arches? I realize in person my rough shape of a running board is way too far from the body, there is no purpose served there. The wheel well should be opened up as well. I remember Foose saying he makes his mods within only 1" or 2, slight and classy. I've started my conversion fat and cartoonish (not on purpose, lol) but can cut a lot out.

The manufacturer and its designers & engineers probably made that wheel cut to fit the largest tires available, with chain clearance/full jounce and full lock. They also would have taken into account any various ride heights that the model might have, with various gasoline loads, passengers, optional equipment, etc. Some makers like BMW might change springs, etc. to account for some of this, reducing their load height changes and reduce bumper ranges too.
    To reference Foose's opinion will not make much of an impression on me since I consider him a bozo anyway. Many on here may not agree with me but that's how I feel.

Let me save you some time. Some idiot is going to step on your sideskirt arch and its going to break away.

I modified kits from other cars to fit cars at the time for about ten years-that's how I got my nickname. I'm into replicas now. Find a "fiberglass" kit on a four door you like. Look at bmws, Hondas, Mercedes, etc. Buy it then mold it to fit on your car. Make sure its fiberglass and not plastic. You even fit the later years legend kit on your car. Ive even mixed and matched different kits.
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Great advice.. . to make it even easier find one with the same wheelbase.
    My brother has a 90's Legend coupe.. a beautiful car still to this day. It even seats 4 people comfortably if youre not really tall. Better to save up for that in my opinion.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Yep, even with the coupe you cut the sideskirt in the middle bolt down the ends and use fiberglass to build up the sections. If the sideskirt is too long, cut it to length and reglass it. There are many Hondas and celicas running bmw aftermarket sideskirts.
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016