Thread: 88 GT STEERING WHEEL HELP

88 GT STEERING WHEEL HELP

Hey gang! I new to the forum, so excuse me if this issue has been addressed in the past. I got a nice loaded '88 GT 5spd last last summer. It was stored all winter and brought back out in March. I have a three fold question concerning the leather wrapped GT wheel in my car:

1) The wheel seems to be a factory two tone (Beechwood interior). The leather cover is two piecewith the "joint" just above the 3 & 9 o'clock positions (slightly above the thumb rests). The top portion is a lighter tan than the darker brown lower portion. I first thought it was just sun faded on top, but it seemed odd that just the top leather faded! There is a definate color difference where the two pieces meet. Anyone else seen this before?

2) My wheel has good tight and straight leather, but the top is starting to really dry out and get rough. Is there any kind of leather treatment I can get to restore the softness and color? I want to take care of it before it get too bad!

3) Finally, there seems to be a caramel colored ooze coming from the wheel when it sets in the sun and the interior gets hot. It's coming through the seam around the inner diameter of the wheel. The majority is coming from the bottom section with an occasional spot on the upper quadrant? Anyone seen this problem before? Any solutions?

Thanks for looking at my problem(s) and hopeful to get some answers!!!

JOE 4RE
    JOE 4RE

Re: 88 GT STEERING WHEEL HELP

The only 'stupid' thing I can come up with is 'shoe polish' and buff the crap out of it. I imagine the are leather shops that have better products to give the leather a uniform color.
    good luck, Sandy

I also have a '88 wheel that oozes glue. In my case the leather has actually twisted about 90 degrees on part of the wheel. I replaced it with a Momo for my 355 conversion.

I would use Meguirar's leather conditioner.
    www.xvelocity.com