Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: body buck molds

body buck molds

Hi guys,

lets get the formality out of the way!

Ive been looking through this site for a while now reading the builds and have finally joined.

I've been wanting to build a kit car since I first learned how to drive, now 10 years on I still want to do a build of my own. I'm wanting my project to be carried out over around 2 years and want to carry out every step for myself including building a buck, molding, panels, space frame chassis etc... infact the only thing that I don't want to do is the 3d cad and printing for the buck skeleton and paint the car.

I'm not 100% on what I want (either Aventador, Huracan, Koenigsegg or P1) just yet, I'm still in the planning and research phase.

So the good points are I'm a mechanical engineering student, Mechanically minded, patient and willing to learn. bad points are I've never done something like this before... but I guess we can alll relate to that at one point in our lives.

anyway onto my question.

once the body buck is made and moulded, what process is used to separate individual panels. obviously the buck is in one piece thus making a part from a mould would result in a entire piece. do you guys take a mould of the specific panel from the buck or do you cut the panel once the entire body has been made. Sorry if you cant understand the question but Im having difficulty in explaining it as I'm not 100% familiar with the technical terms. Hopefully someone will understand what I mean.

And yes I've used the search function.

cheer

Hi, what you are describing is an awful alot of work. building a body is an entire project all in it self that would take a very long time and alot of energy to do. consider buying a body and saving yourself years of time and energy

Hi ncrazyballa, Yeah I've seen the effort some of the guys on here have put in on their projects and over what duration of time, I've also followed the baileyblade on youtube which shows extensive work on his body buck.

The reason I ask is that I have an awful lot of time on my hands and as I'm planning on doing a PHD I should continue to have time on my hands. The reason I want to build this thing from scrach is because there is alot of satisfaction in doing things yourself. such as the pagani build in sheet aluminium, I love everything about that build and the concept behind it.

The only thing I cannot find out is how the panels are made from a buck mould, nobody seems to document that phase unfortunately.

Making individual panels take a tremendous amount of time, you need to plan everything accordingly and have your chassis/space frame already in the works so you can measure and plan your attachment points, reinforcements and allow for all your clearances.
    Starting with a unibody isn't harder, I actually think it makes more sense to get the entire body sitting on the chassis where you want it and build your spaceframe underneath it to fit.
    I don't think 2 years is enough time for a build like this though, you'll spend that just making your buck.
    Without talent experience is worthless

You are an engineering student and you have that kind of disposable income over the next two years? I'm going back to school!

When I was in college I was flat broke all the time lol. If I had money back then the last thing I would have wasted on would be a kitcar!
    Without talent experience is worthless

Hi guys thanks for the replys.

First I understand your frustrations with new comers to the site asking advice, ive read loads of posts already. I get the fact that people come on almost daily asking questions and not really understanding the scope of the projects they are planning... I may be a timewaster/dreaamer myself however I wont know until I actually get started and I cant get started until I have have get advice from the people in the know. so please bear with me.

Yeah I was thinking unibody then building a chassis to fit. but I'm a little confused with how the doors/pannels are taken out of the unibody, it seems like a simple question however I want to be sure on the process. Are the cut out of the unibody then door sills made afterwards? or are they built separately and the hole is drilled out of the unibody?

I've priced most materiel myself and I'm aware of the rough cost of the project although I havent priced alot of the little things that wwill obviously mount up. things such as MDF, fiberglass are relatively cheap and the foam can easily be sourced from building yard/skip for free. fiber glassing I can do, manufacturing a chassis I can do, installing engine etc I can do and time I have an abundance of during off term time. the time scale of the project really isnt that important to me, its more of a get away project, something to look forward to kind of thing

as I said I'm a mature student, I've had time to save, invest and stash away free cash for some years prior to stating my degree. I'm also based in the UK if anyone was wondering.

cheers guys

Hi, Deeko1987 and welcome to the site, I can tell you first hand everything you will encounter start to end as I did exactly what you have described . it took me 8 years start to finish and around $100,000 K and also I am a veteran body man of 30 plus years with decent skills , It is a lot of work trust me . but it can be done, many people on this site have done it and it is very rewarding , I built a Saleen s7 look a like and it gets attention everywhere I go. my web page is buenodesigns .com the entire car was built by hand and all individual panels , no computer design. let me know if I can be of help.. john

Hi Deeko.
    Welcome. You mentioned my Zonda build, have you considered going the metal way perhaps. I use to do the glass thing, till I learnt metal shaping, & I will never go back unless customers want a glass body.
    If you have made a part from ally, the part is just about done all at once. Other words, you don't have to shape it, mould it then make your final part.
    Have a look at www.lazzemetalshaping.com It is a great site to learn from, & he gives very good description of how to do things.
    Also the outlay of tools you need is not as big as most think. I have 2 big stumps with profiles shaped into them, a English wheel that I made myself, & a good set of hammers.
    Of course you will need a good welding machine. I do my ally welding with my mig, using the Teflon coated inner for ally wire. Contrary to what they say, you can weld thin sheets of ally with them, it just takes some practice, I use 1.2 & 2mm sheets.

2 years to build a car is to short if you don't have experience, but even if it takes you 10. It will be experience you will not have learnt, & you will still be proud of what you have done.

Cheers Jose'

Quote Originally Posted by paisa62 View Post
    Hi, Deeko1987 and welcome to the site, I can tell you first hand everything you will encounter start to end as I did exactly what you have described . it took me 8 years start to finish and around $100,000 K and also I am a veteran body man of 30 plus years with decent skills , It is a lot of work trust me . but it can be done, many people on this site have done it and it is very rewarding , I built a Saleen s7 look a like and it gets attention everywhere I go. my web page is buenodesigns .com the entire car was built by hand and all individual panels , no computer design. let me know if I can be of help.. john
    Hi John, I have taken a look at your site and your workmanship is amazing, the kit looks brilliant. I find it phenomenal that you have done this by hand and with no cad drawings/templates to go off. It must be a great feeling to step back and admire the finished product and all the hard work that you put it. This is the route I would like to take my build i.e separate panels. If you don't mind I'll send you a pm just asking for a few details on how this was accomplished. I have a rough idea but want to be certain.

Quote Originally Posted by JoseOSI View Post
    Hi Deeko.
    Welcome. You mentioned my Zonda build, have you considered going the metal way perhaps. I use to do the glass thing, till I learnt metal shaping, & I will never go back unless customers want a glass body.
    If you have made a part from ally, the part is just about done all at once. Other words, you don't have to shape it, mould it then make your final part.
    Have a look at www.lazzemetalshaping.com It is a great site to learn from, & he gives very good description of how to do things.
    Also the outlay of tools you need is not as big as most think. I have 2 big stumps with profiles shaped into them, a English wheel that I made myself, & a good set of hammers.
    Of course you will need a good welding machine. I do my ally welding with my mig, using the Teflon coated inner for ally wire. Contrary to what they say, you can weld thin sheets of ally with them, it just takes some practice, I use 1.2 & 2mm sheets.

2 years to build a car is to short if you don't have experience, but even if it takes you 10. It will be experience you will not have learnt, & you will still be proud of what you have done.

Cheers Jose'
    Jose, thanks for the message. I was looking through your build again yesterday. I'm not sure if its in real time or if you upload maybe 2 or 3 weeks work in an upload but the progress you make is outstanding. coincidently I was looking at the instructables site on how to make an English wheel after reading your thread lol. I would definitely consider the metal route depending on which car I finally settle on. I'll have a look through the resources you kindly provided.

I feel I may have underestimated the time scales, but like you say, regardless of how long it takes its something to be proud of and enjoy whilst in the process.

Again hope you dont mind me pm'ing you for abit of info on the process if I need to.

cheers guys