Thread: Making a Buck in Google SketchUp

Making a Buck in Google SketchUp

No, not money. A buck to make your supercar body. A quick tutorial for SketchUp users on slicing a model into stations that fit into one another. I've been looking for something like this for a while and recently found the SLICE MODELER plug-in that is a free download add on to SketchUp. I like this one because its real easy, I can't yet wrap my head around other 3D programs fully to do this operation. In the program you are asked to set the spacing of the stations and their thickness, for example this model is 12'' long. My stations are spread out at 3/4'' intervals and they are 1/16'' thick. then you'll be asked whether to number the stations in X an Y dimensions (which I choose YES). Hwen asked to keep hidden the original selection (drawing), I choose yes. And finally you can have them 'flattened' at the last step for output to a printer, CNC or lasercutter. -Vinny
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 08-11-2015 at 12:06 AM.
    Remember, there is always next year.

This pic shows a better view of the slices, I want to try making a small cardboard version of a buck to see how it looks. -Vinny
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by TRcrazy; 08-11-2015 at 12:10 AM.

awesome!!!
    Do u know how to make this in blender 3D?

No, I do not know how that would be done in Blender, although I have Blender and I previously used it to convert Sketchup models (corrado's) into .stl file format so I could work them in my CNC CAM programs, Vetric CUT2d and 3D. Thanks Vinny

Very nice man! I wish I had remembered about sketchup while I was in modeling stage for mine. So many inconsistencies can occur using Autocad.
    My Scratch-built Countach LP400 build: http://projectcountach.blogspot.com/

Has anyone tried Modo? Is it any better than Sketchup?