Thread: PCL high build primer

PCL high build primer

I just ordered a gallon of PCL high build primer based on Mike's strong recommendation. What nozzle size and air pressure should I use. Should it be reduced or just mix with the MERK hardener? Also, do i just use lacquer thinner to clean the gun?
    -Glenn

"One day I had a bit of an argument with my friend Enzo Ferrari, who reckoned I wasnít able to drive a Ferrari, only tractors. Thatís when I got the idea into my head and told myself Ė Iíll make the cars myself from now on!" - Ferruccio Lamborghini

High Build Primer

Quote Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
    I just ordered a gallon of PCL high build primer based on Mike's strong recommendation. What nozzle size and air pressure should I use. Should it be reduced or just mix with the MERK hardener? Also, do i just use lacquer thinner to clean the gun?
    I would use a 2.0 nozzle and the air pressure should be set as low as you can get it , but still create a good pattern. Too high of pressure will create bounce back and make the surface more rough. You should try to spray with out using a reducer because the reducer will reduce the thickness and flow of the primer. I use the cheapest lacquer thinner I can get . Some supplier have an actual Gun Cleaning Lacquer that is a bit cheaper. For your final cleaning , take the gun completely apart and clean the best you can, some of the high build primer can dry as hard as a rock and almost impossible to get out of the gun once set. Good Luck with your project !

Exactly what fauxknowitall said, PCL primer is the best I've used.
    Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by fauxknowitall View Post
    I would use a 2.0 nozzle and the air pressure should be set as low as you can get it , but still create a good pattern. Too high of pressure will create bounce back and make the surface more rough. You should try to spray with out using a reducer because the reducer will reduce the thickness and flow of the primer. I use the cheapest lacquer thinner I can get . Some supplier have an actual Gun Cleaning Lacquer that is a bit cheaper. For your final cleaning , take the gun completely apart and clean the best you can, some of the high build primer can dry as hard as a rock and almost impossible to get out of the gun once set. Good Luck with your project !

Thank you very much for the information!
    -Glenn

"One day I had a bit of an argument with my friend Enzo Ferrari, who reckoned I wasnít able to drive a Ferrari, only tractors. Thatís when I got the idea into my head and told myself Ė Iíll make the cars myself from now on!" - Ferruccio Lamborghini

Did you find a good PSI for spraying it with the 2.0 nozzle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rippin6Gears View Post
    Did you find a good PSI for spraying it with the 2.0 nozzle?
    Not yet as I do not have any panels worthy of priming... It was to hot to work in the garage yesterday...
    -Glenn