Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone in northern ca. lodi area want to help build this car?

Base it on an unstretched c5 corvette chassis

There is a dismantler that sells cut down c5 chassis on eBay

See Ebay item 252087469343

You'll be ready to roll in no time

I'm in the Bay Area if you need a second set of eyes. I really like your first sketch it looks like the Ferrari fxxk but with your own touch

The red car looks a bit dated like the 1990s 550 maranello
    Last edited by cutlass442; 09-15-2015 at 05:53 PM.

chassis

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    Base it on an unstretched c5 corvette chassis

There is a dismantler that sells cut down c5 chassis on eBay

See Ebay item 252087469343

You'll be ready to roll in no time

I'm in the Bay Area if you need a second set of eyes. I really like your first sketch it looks like the Ferrari fxxk but with your own touch

The red car looks a bit dated like the 1990s 550 maranello
    thanks for the info. i personally think its easier to build my own chassis than use an existing because of the amount of junk i'd have to remove and throw away. it might be cheaper too. the chassis i built ten years ago cost me around 500 bucks in steel tubing back then. true i used existing suspension arms spindles etc....steel is so easy to cut, weld, grind, recut, reweld, grind etc that i cant fathom anyone using a donor chassis save for the registration purposes. with a fabrication table chassis are surprisingly easy to build.

the red car is a throwback design...granted. it evolved over about ten years worth of work into its current form...but then again my mid engine project evolved from designs i made in the early 90's...ferraris and mclaren f1 have influenced my design language over time

how i designed my old project was that i began with looking for a windshield that would suit my needs and found one (acura NSX, still sourced for about 200 bucks) its long enough, wide enough, and can provide a pretty nice windshield rake/angle. i found just about every aailable chassis pic online and then set about copying it.

now i plan to build this chassis: a copy of the SLC chassis which is super simple. i have also attached a pic of my old project while i was working on it. wife ran off on me. i lost house with 3 car garage and so i lost my project.....now i am pretty firmly re-established but happened to have 4 kids with my current wife so i have to move forward with this project carefully. (the yellow car is the SLC chassis)

where in the bay area? BTW i'll be at the danville concours sunday
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pbarosso; 09-15-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aflo View Post
    Clay would be great to get molds for actual parts, way better than machining from Sketchup. I would recommend Chavant although it is not cheap.
    Good luck to you on this project. It will be a massive effort if you can make it through. You will need to start with the chassis and the GLASS PLANES.
    Please keep us up to date with your efforts.
    there is no way i'd be machining from any cad program unless i was super rich. when that happens ill just get a really good setup and then hire people to do all my work LOL

Using the more economical construction methods, what is your budget for this project?

budget

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    Using the more economical construction methods, what is your budget for this project?
    i dont have a budget, but that being said i am a cheap ass. i am a teacher and have 4 kids. i will pay for it as i go. i have many parts already

Did you look at the eBay item I posted ? Here's a direct link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252087469343

Its exactly what youre looking for - ready to build your own frame
    and All the unnecessary stuff has already been cut off and removed ,
    all the drivetrain and suspension is fully ready to go. Its the absolute cheapest
    Way to have a fully running chassis , perfected OEM suspension geometry etc

You still need to fabricate framing to connect front and rear just like your old project
    But trust me you can't get much cheaper for all the pre assembled parts ready to go

I'm on the peninsula by SF. Also have a place in Modesto

C5

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    Did you look at the eBay item I posted ? Here's a direct link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252087469343

Its exactly what youre looking for - ready to build your own frame
    and All the unnecessary stuff has already been cut off and removed ,
    all the drivetrain and suspension is fully ready to go. Its the absolute cheapest
    Way to have a fully running chassis , perfected OEM suspension geometry etc

You still need to fabricate framing to connect front and rear just like your old project
    But trust me you can't get much cheaper for all the pre assembled parts ready to go

I'm on the peninsula by SF. Also have a place in Modesto
    Sorry about that...I didn't look at it though I have seen before. It is a great idea to do a front engine rwd car this way. Exactly as you said it. Though I didn't say so, if I was to build a fe/rwd I did consider both the c4 and c5 though I prefer the wheelbase of the c5 and c6. When you had mentioned cut down chassis I admit I envisioned the tub cut down ....

This idea may come to fruition as I am tempted to source glass so I can design something...possibly Nissan 370z or audi tt among many to consider.

Another thing about the corvette chassis idea is that I could build and sell bodies and chassis to bolt on.

other ideas

here are some other pics the white one is a single seat or tandem racer. the dark one is my Velocita design. both works in progress. i kinda design by the seat of my pants, not really starting with any sketches. when i get to the section plane stage of the Velocita project i will design the front and rear ends on the full scale model. i think its easier, i know i do stuff the hard way. the render is pretty much garbage but it works well enough for me to see a decent view of it.

i just donated a perfectly good fiero out of my garage to make room for this project. i need to get rid of one more car so i can pull my corvette out of the garage so i dont scratch it up. i will do the body first then scratch build the chassis under it. this way i can set my NSX windshield into the model and sculpt it in-situ. the skethup model is using a scale windshield so i know it will look pretty much exactly as it does.
    Last edited by pbarosso; 09-17-2015 at 07:53 PM.

yet another model

a future corvette type model for your consideration

Pbrasso, hope you make this a reality. Will follow the project and help all I can. Love the slc, always have. Make a wicked looking body since your making it from scratch. Look forward to the build
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016