Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone in northern ca. lodi area want to help build this car?

Yes you can build a chassis on a low budget if you do everything yourself..On the body side be sure to use standard dimension DOT glass to kept cost low....maybe you will need to adjust your design

Kitcarking,
    Out of curiousity, just how low would the budget be for him to copy the SuperLite chassis and do the work himself like he said?

If you are asking about replicating the Superlite SLC chassis as made here in the Detroit...not recommended..... its patent pending and trade dress registered
    I did this after being screwed over by the Falcon F7 guys that we helped out and got drastically screwed by in financial and IP terms....

At your peril fellas....
    Last edited by RCRFRAN; 09-22-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    Kitcarking,
    Out of curiousity, just how low would the budget be for him to copy the SuperLite chassis and do the work himself like he said?
    Don't forget to factor in the LEGAL costs of copying/stealing someone else's intellectual property. These things don't just materialize by themselves on the internet, someone has to spend many hours, plus numerous other resources to make a chassis that actually performs. They will take a dim view of someone attempting to appropriate the fruits of their efforts. You would do exactly the same if you were in their shoes.

Kitcarking,
    Not copy make a chassis....If he`s a welder and got some skills..

i do weld and can make the chassis similar but not an exact copy. hell, the chevron B12 chassis is pretty similar. i am sure it would end up similar but different enough that i would be fine...besides, mine will have full A and B pillars welded on and not some mickey-mouse bolt on deal. plus the measurements will be way off anyways since i am just eye-balling, not to mention that it will be only as wide as my windshield will allow. the suspension will be different to boot.

i am pretty sure i can make the bare chassis for under $1,000 without a problem. my last chassis was a decent effort and it run me about 450 bucks!!! i had a retired engineer that used to frequent my old job, check it out since he had built a car in the 70s. this guy was 93 and had a warehouse full of cars motorcycles, trucks etc...he had three ferraris...but i digress..

as for glass, i am using an NSX windshield so i am good there i have had it for ten years just collecting dust. the side glass will be nsx as well...

The mid engine is nice.... it needs a face though... like with headlights... maybe some thing like this.

I think it would be great if you use the 300zx for a donor and relocate an engine to the back.

Lastly Im sure there are lots of guys in San Francisco with hobby CNC machines... you'd have a good chance in finding one from the CNCZone.com forums to get it carved out for a decent price.... seeing that member aflo is quite the 3D artist... maybe his rates wont be too much for you to clean up the model and save so much time doing it by hand.

Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

Quote Originally Posted by pbarosso View Post
    i do weld and can make the chassis similar but not an exact copy. hell, the chevron B12 chassis is pretty similar. i am sure it would end up similar but different enough that i would be fine...besides, mine will have full A and B pillars welded on and not some mickey-mouse bolt on deal. plus the measurements will be way off anyways since i am just eye-balling, not to mention that it will be only as wide as my windshield will allow. the suspension will be different to boot.

i am pretty sure i can make the bare chassis for under $1,000 without a problem. my last chassis was a decent effort and it run me about 450 bucks!!! i had a retired engineer that used to frequent my old job, check it out since he had built a car in the 70s. this guy was 93 and had a warehouse full of cars motorcycles, trucks etc...he had three ferraris...but i digress.

as for glass, i am using an NSX windshield so i am good there i have had it for ten years just collecting dust. the side glass will be nsx as well...
    There is nobody in the kitcar industry that is even close to the league of Fran (Race Car Replicas). From what I have seen, you have no credentials whatsoever, let alone enough to call his stuff "Mickey-mouse". But even if you did, why would you? No matter how much you know or think you know, a new member coming to our house and insulting our friends is not a wise move.

Thanks Charlie
    its ok everyone is entitled to their opinion, maybe the OP doesn't know that steel/chromoly roll cages are the only thing approved for track days or racing.
    And many SLC's are used for occasional or fulltime track use...hence our SCCA/NASA approved "mickeymouse" steel cage bolted via sanctioning body approved bolt on mounting plates
    Tough to weld ferrous to non ferrous materials.

I wish him well with his project...as all of us professionals know its a lot harder than it looks...

I mispoke

There is nobody in the kitcar industry that is even close to the league of Fran (Race Car Replicas). From what I have seen, you have no credentials whatsoever, let alone enough to call his stuff "Mickey-mouse". But even if you did, why would you? No matter how much you know or think you know, a new member coming to our house and insulting our friends is not a wise move.
    Yeah. Sorry man...I didn't think about the aluminum to iron or that roll cages bolt on. I made no reference to any car maker! I meant that the chassis will be all steel cro/mo OR DOM and not a bolt on A-pillar roof roll cage that I have seen again without realizing the racing aspect. Not meant to offend...and I have no idea who fran or what RCR car you are talking about.