Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone in northern ca. lodi area want to help build this car?

anyone in northern ca. lodi area want to help build this car?

here is a render of my unfinished sketchup project. i am going to build a chassis similar to the SLC superlite which should be pretty simple. thinking about a subaru powerplant and tranny. too many smallblock cars...and thats getting boring to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

here is another pic of the car with another project car i created in the foreground. i am actually undecided as to which car i should build. the front engine rwd car would be easier, but the italian in me cries out for italian design tradition.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Junior Member ConcoursInteriors's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbarosso View Post
    here is another pic of the car with another project car i created in the foreground. i am actually undecided as to which car i should build. the front engine rwd car would be easier, but the italian in me cries out for italian design tradition.
    Hey pbarosso, absolutely stunning design! I Like It! I would be interested in working on a high end Italian style interior for this beauty. I have 35 years experience in Ferrari Interior Restoration. I was in Huntington Beach, Ca. Now located in Naples, Florida, but still possible. You can send me a PM for some pics.
    Last edited by ConcoursInteriors; 09-13-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Hi pbarosso,nice designs. Have you built a custom frame car before?

Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by paulino7777 View Post
    Hi pbarosso,nice designs. Have you built a custom frame car before?
    Yes I have built a chassis before. For me to build this my problem is interior parts for fit and finish. The body and chassis are just many hours of work but not hard.

Cheers

Yes I have built a chassis before. For me to build this my problem is interior parts for fit and finish. The body and chassis are just many hours of work but not hard.

Cheers
    Methinks you are vastly oversimplifying the process. Maybe the chassis you have built was truly up to the complexity of this kind of project but maybe it wasn't. In any case your cad efforts are probably not quite up to the level needed. Sketchup is totally inadequate for anyone serious about this kind of work. I am hoping I am wrong but I hate to see people up to their necks in alligators when they don't need to be.
    Last edited by aflo; 09-15-2015 at 10:03 AM.

Thats a cool design . Lets see if it ends up as reality.

Why would the front engine car be easier to build? And what exactly is the help that you are asking for to build this?

Chassis

Quote Originally Posted by aflo View Post
    Methinks you are vastly oversimplifying the process. Maybe the chassis you have built was truly up to the complexity of this kind of project but maybe it wasn't. In any case your cad efforts are probably not quite up to the level needed. Sketchup is totally inadequate for anyone serious about this kind of work. I am hoping I am wrong but I hate to see people up to their necks in alligators when they don't need to be.
    Well I'll do it in clay if that would make you happy. I've used clay since 1992 and have done lots of modeling. I use sketch up because it's easy to use plus my sister is an architect and her firm used it years ago and that's how I was turned on to it. But really. Sketchup as is any cad program used for body just a rough estimation. I am not going to use 4 axis machining so I don't really need anything fancier. Plus I don't have the time to learn fancy cad. When I make the body I am going to use section planes anyway. As an artist I can totally sculpt this out and pull molds. The best part is...I won't be driving some cobbled together kit of another car it'll be my own design and no one can say that I am a wannabe for driving some lambo kit..though cool they may be.

The help I am looking for is just some one that wants to work together sculpting welding etc....basically fresh eyes. We artists may not like critiques but they are.necessary

Why front engine is easier? Because so many engines would be plug and play. So many existing suspensions can be made to work. There are so many chassis that have been made that I can copy or simulate

Clay would be great to get molds for actual parts, way better than machining from Sketchup. I would recommend Chavant although it is not cheap.
    Good luck to you on this project. It will be a massive effort if you can make it through. You will need to start with the chassis and the GLASS PLANES.
    Please keep us up to date with your efforts.