Thread: Covering foam

Covering foam

I am building a part out of pink foam from Lowe's for my kit. I started to cover the panel in Bondo but heard drywall compound could also be used. Has anyone uses this successfully? And do I need to do any other preparation other then primer once ready to pull a mold?
    -Glenn

"One day I had a bit of an argument with my friend Enzo Ferrari, who reckoned I wasnít able to drive a Ferrari, only tractors. Thatís when I got the idea into my head and told myself Ė Iíll make the cars myself from now on!" - Ferruccio Lamborghini

Bondo will eat away at the foam a little bit but not as much as fiberglass resin will. Most people use drywall compound to get the final shape, spray a couple heavy coats of epoxy primer and then do any final touchups with the bondo and take molds from there. You can also get the other foam from Lowes that won't melt from the resins and bondo which would be better if you haven't gone too far. then you can add a layer of fiberglass to the shape and finish with bondo and high build primer etc.

What part(s) are you building?

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Thanks don,

I did notice the bondo did eat away at some of the foam and I had large piece of the bondo peel off also. At this point I am to far to make this piece over again. I am working on the inner panel that goes to the large side grill. If you remember, the one on the inspire kit is to narrow. What foam at lowes is better to use? Is it the blue foam? I still have lots of other parts to make?
    -Glenn

"One day I had a bit of an argument with my friend Enzo Ferrari, who reckoned I wasnít able to drive a Ferrari, only tractors. Thatís when I got the idea into my head and told myself Ė Iíll make the cars myself from now on!" - Ferruccio Lamborghini

There is a yellow foam that dobie44 was getting from Home depot up here in Canada. He said it was used for door cores and other applications. It si teh poly eurothane vs. Extreudued Polerester foam so the resins and bondo don't melt it. I will try to get the part number from him. Not cheap though if I remember correctly....

I was also reading through Tantuka's build thread an he said he was applying strospray. I had a quick look online and it looks like it works very well. Not sure where you would get it in a store. Perhaps it is an online purchase that they deliver.

Good luck and post pics.... We all like pics......
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Quote Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
    I am building a part out of pink foam from Lowe's for my kit. I started to cover the panel in Bondo but heard drywall compound could also be used. Has anyone uses this successfully? And do I need to do any other preparation other then primer once ready to pull a mold?
    Some of the guys who make surfboards and sculptures use water diluted PVA (white wood glue) to seal foam from epoxy, polyester and various resin coatings. It's cheap, easy to use and water soluble. I don't have much experience with it outside of 3D printing 'melt away' parts but it's quick and cheap to try.