Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing leds inside bentley tail light housing

changing leds inside bentley tail light housing

My bentley tail lights have gone quite dim. I notice that the leds inside the brake and tail light portions are going out. They have been working properly for awhile now. Does anyone know how to replace them?

LED's don't go dim, they either work or they don't. If they appear dim, its either clouding on the lens or a low voltage problem. Running LED's at a higher voltage than what they are designed for can cause them to fail, but its not something that happens over a long period of time or little by little. A higher voltage will usually burn them out in under a few seconds, so they wouldn't be working at all.
    You probably have a loose or faulty connection somewhere, adding resistance in the line and causing a lower voltage at the LED.
    Try removing the lamp assembly from the car and testing it with the full required voltage, I think you'll see the LED's are not the problem.
    Last edited by murcie-me; 10-20-2015 at 12:22 AM.
    Without talent experience is worthless

mine arent very bright either, and they blink fast for turn signals. wiring needs some work.

Quote Originally Posted by murcie-me View Post
    LED's don't go dim, they either work or they don't. .
    Er, 'scuse me:

"It is well known that LED lights last a very long time, but a question that is commonly asked is, “Do LED lights dim over time.” Unfortunately, there is really no short answer to this question. LED lights are known to be quite durable and have a longer life span than most other bulbs; in fact, they can even last for decades with normal use. However, LED lights will dim once they begin to reach the end of their life cycle. Unlike other bulbs that blow or burn out all at once, LED lights will gradually dim. And again, the good news is it will take quite a long time for this to occur.

The Reason LED Lights Dim

LED Lights operate through semiconductors and they do not get hot to the touch, or melt the plastic bulbs they are often placed in, only a small amount of heat is released. It is important to understand how this happens. Light is produced because electrons are energized when electricity is introduced to the diodes. These electrons travel from one material to the next, but must dispel their energy before the other material can accept them. It is this expulsion of energy that produces light in the form of photons, and a small amount of heat. Over time, usually very long periods of time, the semiconductors will wear out and the lights will begin to dim. They do not burn out in the literal sense, yet they will dim in time."

Google is your friend.

K9

That's not the problem though . The problem is the wiring /voltage

I can't help you with the brightness but the fast blink is likely because you are using the OE signal flasher. These are load (resistance) based so the OE incandescent bulb has a very different "load" than LED. If you switch to a LED flasher it will blink normally. Before there were LED flashers, we would add a resister to the signal circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by funexec View Post
    mine arent very bright either, and they blink fast for turn signals. wiring needs some work.

If it were me, the first thing I would do is check the current to be sure it's getting enough power. From their, I would study and test the LED circuit board. The LED's itself are probably ok. It has been a known issue of the Bentley LED tail light drivers failing.

By looking on the board itself all the connections are marked to insure you are wiring it correctly.

If both lights are acting the same it's probably not the lights themselves. Chances are you didn't wire them properly, weak ground etc.

The fast blink is due to what bartman said. Change the flasher to an electronic one and that issue should be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    That's not the problem though . The problem is the wiring /voltage
    You can diagnose that from where you are? Sweet! If you wouldn't mind terribly telling me why my Range Rover head light keeps going out, you'd save me a lot of time at the $tealers.....

K9

Ok, so basically the leds are burnt out, I only have a few lil spots where they are on. The function that flickers is when I hit the brake not the actual turn signal or tail light. I'll be pulling them out to test with a 12v source as mentioned. I'll be doing it this week. If my suspicion is confirmed and the leds themselves are burnt out and all connections are good, how do I replace the leds themselves...??

I just want to be prepared to fix them while I have them out the car either way. I'm hoping it's the easy fix but I did purchase my tail lights used from uk, so they could have been on their last leg upon arrival. Thanks to all

I'm assuming these are genuine Bentley lights, and as such, probably sourced from Audi. www.audiworld.com has an active forum section so maybe look up the A8 boards and see if they can help. They're a very knowledgeable group on there...

K9