Thread: Bad Brakes from AirKewld

Bad Brakes from AirKewld

Bought in 2009; finally installed on '71 Karmann Ghia beam. New balljoints as well; that was by far the hardest thing, doing them on-the-car.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

More pix for the previous post -

A friend installed those brakes on his car. It required extreme pedal force to even slow the car down. The Wilwood racing brake pads are meant to be hot all the time.
    Do yourself a favour and get street brake pads from wilwood.

Hummm - good to know. I need to look at what pads came with it - I'll ask AirKewld. I'm still up in the air about the master cylinder. I currently have a dual-circuit Corvair version, but I've also bought the VW one that AirKewld recommended (I think it has a smaller piston diameter). I do have 2 and 10 psi residual pressure valves installed.

I plan to call Wilwood tomorrow to ask their advice, as well as the best of their proportioning valves to use - this one seems right, but I'll check.

If you plan on a dual circuit master cylinder you will only need the single I/O proportioning valve. 10PSI RPV for drum brakes?

My friend has been having trouble too. He got the same brakes and it needs a lot of force to just slow down the car. It's tragic lol best buy those street brakes, just be sure they're trusted brands

I talked to Wilwood - they recommend no larger than a 15/16", MAYBE a 1" master cylinder bore. The Corvair MC I have is 1" bore. The dual-circuit VW MC that I ordered, recommended by AirKewld, has a 3/4" bore - more stroke, but an easier pedal. I'll go ahead and install the 3/4" MC and see how it all works.