Thread: Vayder interest /tech questions

Vayder interest /tech questions

Hello everyone, I am new to the thread. My name is rob, Im from connecticut. I have a very strong interest in building a vayder ever since the day I saw it. It is a very sharp looking car, props to matt on designing such a nice car. The only issue I have is destroying an infinity g35 to make this car. I want to,build one for myself, to possibly track it and if ct's laws dont become too strict by then, a cruiser to take to auto shows. A couple questions I had were, does anyone think this would be worth putting on a NAERC( fake lambo) chassis? I have the CAD renderings for this chassis, its shorter than the wheelbase for the g35, so it can be lengthened to fit in terms of that and if I do it on the cad before building the chassis it shouldnt compromise the integrity of the frame. And, does anyone have the dimensions from the back of the cab to the wheel centerline? It would be awesome to be able to make a mid engine version of this.
    Last edited by cvpibear; 12-24-2015 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Word correction

Well anything is possible with $$$.. What you propose will take the build cost and increase it by $20-50k. Plus such a project will only be completed by a master fabricator as there's no guide to follow .

you aren't a master fabricator , are you ?

The best strategy is to
    Buy a g35 with minor cosmetic damage for $3-5k .

There's. No way you can build the tube chassis and suspension for near that much ,
    And that's not even considering the drivetrain cost of $15-25k if you want to do mid engine
    which will require expensive adapters and likely a Porsche 911 transmission

By using a g35 you have a running , driving car with oem levels of engineering . If you want more power turbo it

It will all depend on your expectations and how deep your pockets are. I would say whatever you write down as your project budget, just double it.

The vador was designed for ease of construction on purpose. It would seem to me that you are trying to cause yourself a lot of undo work and money trying to re-engineer this beautiful car and put it on a modified replica chassis.

There is NO WAY I would consider doing that. Now if you have unlimited time, money and skill to make it happen then go for it! If I were you and had the cash just go buy you a litely tapped g35 and keep it moving, in six months or so you will be done and driving one of the most reliable (if it's been cared for) cars around. Like someone else mentioned you need more power go twins.

Just my .02

You think the Vaydor was designed with ease of construction in mind? Im not doubting you but I think it has even come from Matt that the Vaydor is a big project and not meant for a guy who just got a tool set for Christmas. Now with that being said I think if its a vaydor you want then just build it as intended. If I recall correctly the consensus these cars requires up in the $40,000 range for a guy who knows what he is doing to complete it on his own and in the $55,000-$85,000 to have someone else complete it for you. Add that tube chassis, and all the other bits and you can see this will be a deep money pit

Quote Originally Posted by rundlc View Post
    The vador was designed for ease of construction on purpose. It would seem to me that you are trying to cause yourself a lot of undo work and money trying to re-engineer this beautiful car and put it on a modified replica chassis.

There is NO WAY I would consider doing that. Now if you have unlimited time, money and skill to make it happen then go for it! If I were you and had the cash just go buy you a litely tapped g35 and keep it moving, in six months or so you will be done and driving one of the most reliable (if it's been cared for) cars around. Like someone else mentioned you need more power go twins.

Just my .02

Hi Cvpibear
    Welcome to mad mechanics.
    I think what the other guys are saying is, it really depends on you skill levels, knowledge and deepens of your pockets.

To explain a little further, there are many different types of kit car out there, ranging from (what I did first) a Westfield lotus 7 clone, where short of oil, gas and tools, you get pretty much everything you need and great support (instructions and online /on phone in those days help).

On a same but different level are some of the body kit type kits from DNA in the UK. These are more bodywork heavy- knowing how to align an fit panels, but to be honest, they even supply you with the automotive glue to fit them. Their latest kits almost self align and are probably easier to fit than some rip off copy panels from China that would replace the donor cars fender.

Then there are more involved kits that aren't quite as far developed. These require greater skill from the builder, as the panels are okay, but need a ton of work to get them to look anything oem. Most of these require a little cutting and sometimes a small amount of welding.

After this, the serious stuff starts (way beyond my capabilities). General panels that don't fit to anything in particular that you have to build a frame around an existing car or create a space frame for. Somewhere in between is the Vaydor. A great looking concept and I'm sure a real head turner. Again, I know when I'm outclassed and certainly beyond me for time and skill.

I wouldn't worry too much about cutting up a G35. It will save you a huge amount of money and effort from building your own chassis. And they made quite a few of them.

I would say, to start off with, you may be better off getting something to cut your teeth on, like a rebody / panel kit. There are some really good kits out there and typically the longer the company has been in business, the better the ease of assembly the kit is. The new Widow SPT could be a fun build and head turner while the new DNA BMW based 250 could also be a fun build.

If you are a trained mechanics with experience of body work, or have deep pockets, go for the Vaydor. I'm unfortunately not at either stage yet

I've built a Westfield, most of a DNA 360, restored a Porsche 356 speedster rep (body off pan), had the majority of an Altra built for me and owned a JPS 356 coupe. I've also restored a bunch of old cars (60s Porsches before the prices went high and the new owners all had their heads up their butts) and I'm currently looking for a Lotus Esprit to strip to the frame and build from the ground up. Still a very different challenge than a Vaydor which would require a lot more body building skill than I have the ability to pull off!

Hope this helps and whatever you decide to take the plunge with, please make a build diary here!

Munky
    Last edited by MunkyKing; 12-28-2015 at 12:59 AM.

Slipondajimmy- I do not want to reengineer his beautiful creation. Where I live it will be easier to build a chassis and get it street legal than it would be to strip a g35 and build the vaydor. If you ever got pulled over in ct and they discovered you modified the frame of the vehicle that you are driving they will take your title and give you a salvage title, and to register a salvage title in ct is like trying to get a man pregnant. They will do everything they can to keep that off the road(routine inspections everytime you get pulled over, and they will look for you. Emissions fines ect) the only state wprse than us is california. And we compete with them on who can be the worst on a regualr basis. If I built a frame, they would issue me a unique vin, take it through inspection, get it sniff tested and if it passes its done. The only other option to bypass that is to,get my dealers license and get a dealers plate, and I believe you also have to sell a certain amount of cars to be eligable to keep it. When I priced out the build of my own frame with powerpland and all the other stuff I wanted, the chassis was not nearly as much as I thought. Or what you guys are claiming as well. Monkey- thank you for being the only person on this forum to welcome me. Cutlass, no I am not a master fabricator, however I am a professional welder. And I am also only 25 years old. I dont care how long the build takes, I have plenty of time to do it. I want a project that interests me and my friends, something that we all can do and something that keeps us out of trouble. If this thing takes 5 years and 60k to build, im cool with it, because when I take it to an auto show, I can be proud of an Exotic build from the ground up.

Probably the best thing you can do is either talk to Matt or buy a G35, strip it as you would for a Vaydor, and build a frame from that - take dimensions and fabricate in tube form.

Like I said, way beyond me. You will need some sort of alignment table to start your frame on.

Have you ever seen 'project binkey' on YouTube? Their set up might give you some ideas. If nothing else, it's great to see others inventiveness and skill!

Quote Originally Posted by cvpibear View Post
    t. When I priced out the build of my own frame with powerpland and all the other stuff I wanted, the chassis was not nearly as much as I thought. Or what you guys are claiming

no I am not a master fabricator, however I am a professional welder. And I am also only 25 years old. I dont care how long the build takes, I have plenty of time to do it. I want a project that interests me and my friends, something that we all can do and something that keeps us out of trouble. If this thing takes 5 years and 60k to build, im cool with it, because when I take it to an auto show, I can be proud of an Exotic build from the ground up.
    It's that thinking that leaves 97% of kits unfinished and why lumps of useless parts and life savings sit in guys garages. You aren't getting what you want to hear you are getting the voice of experience . You are 25. By the time you're 30 you'll probably have a woman and kids telling you how to spend your money and what your priorities Need to be . And it's not putting money and time into a kit , it's spending time with your family and spending all your money on kids and saving for their education , a house , etc

That's why 97% of builds are abandoned .

Matts kits are made to get built quickly so actual finished cars make it on the road . Not so there are useless heaps of fiberglass sitting in guys garages and broken dreams

That's the reality of the kit car hobby. No one likes to talk about it but everyone here will tell you it's true . Everyone here will also tell you to take your price estimates and DOUBLE them , because that's how much you'll eventually end up spending . Again , not an exaggeration but a reality of all the builders here
    Last edited by cutlass442; 12-28-2015 at 03:29 AM.

I think you could fit it on the naerc. Vetter has built kits on a lot of different cars, and I'm not talking fieros or boxsters. Th.e kit doesn't look to difficult. Strip, cut the body, weld the frames. It would be an interesting project for sure. Hopefully your a welder. Personally, follow rundl's advice. That car was designed around the g35. You will appreciate that at the end. Figure in another 20 grand. I'm still assuming you can weld and fabricate. Good luck either way and post it here.