Thread: Renault (or other 21-spline clutch) to match Chevy small-block flywheel?

Renault (or other 21-spline clutch) to match Chevy small-block flywheel?

I have a kit car that was built by a previous owner, and I recently discovered it had a broken clutch. The clutch springs were twisted and broken when I pulled it out, even though I was driving normally around town when it broke. The engine is a 4.3L V6 (~1986, non-vortec) and it is matched to a 1983 Renault Fuego transaxle. The engine will output ~140hp and the clutch comes from a car which has at most 107hp (turbo). The clutch disc diameter is 8.5", versus the Chevy 10-11" clutch disc.

At this point I need to choose whether to replace with a stock clutch, or attempt some form of upgrade. I can't use a standard Chevy clutch because it doesn't use a 21-spline shaft. I am concerned that if I replace it with a stock clutch (Exedy 14009) it will break again soon, and unfortunately nobody offers a "high-performance" clutch for a Feugo. I will be selling the car soon, so I don't want to undertake any transaxle upgrades/changes.

Does anyone know of a 21-spline clutch which would match up with bolt holes on a Chevy flywheel? I saw that Toyota clutches are 21-spline, but I don't know if the bolt holes would match up. Got any ideas?

Just go with what was in there then you know it fits and will work. Original clutch more than adequate and was probably in there for years. If your selling soon why add expense of trying updated if not keeping. Fix it, Enjoy It then Sell It.

I did a google search for "toyota clutch chevy flywheel" and it brought me to an Advance Adapters page which gave part numbers for adapting a chevy engine and flywheel to a toyota transmission. Can anyone confirm whether the 21-teeth on a toyota clutch will fit the 21 teeth (and various offsets) of a Renault Fuego?

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    Just go with what was in there then you know it fits and will work. Original clutch more than adequate and was probably in there for years. If your selling soon why add expense of trying updated if not keeping. Fix it, Enjoy It then Sell It.
    Sorry I missed that post before I replied. I'm not sure how you could say "original clutch more than adequate" if it went into a 107hp car and mine has 140hp+? I'm not being snarky/sarcastic, I was really just curious. The clutch was probably about 15+ years old at the point when it broke, so typically will springs wear out over time like that?
    Last edited by swackerl; 01-08-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swackerl View Post
    Sorry I missed that post before I replied. I'm not sure how you could say "original clutch more than adequate" if it went into a 107hp car and mine has 140hp+? I'm not being snarky/sarcastic, I was really just curious. The clutch was probably about 15+ years old at the point when it broke, so typically will springs wear out over time like that?
    I doubt 33 extra HP will make much difference to the clutch assembly your driving habits more so. And yes most clutches go under normal driving condition in roughly five years or when the warranty ends LOL. Sorry you do not have a high speed super car although it looks ok so extra performance parts are not needed but check with a clutch rebuilder near you if you want to rest assured the parts in there now are fine.

What part of a 21 spline clutch has bolt holes in it?
    You are able to mix and match friction discs and pressure plates to suit your modified application.
    Any clutch rebuilder will reuse your centre 21 spline hub and replace the friction material as well as the springs.
    The pressure plate should be surfaced and spring tension tested by the same company.
    It's a simple job. I'm guessing a good clutch rebuilder could make that clutch good for 300HP by changing the pivot points on the diaphragm spring.
    I have a guy here in Oakville that does it all the time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner View Post
    What part of a 21 spline clutch has bolt holes in it?
    You are able to mix and match friction discs and pressure plates to suit your modified application.
    Any clutch rebuilder will reuse your centre 21 spline hub and replace the friction material as well as the springs.
    The pressure plate should be surfaced and spring tension tested by the same company.
    It's a simple job. I'm guessing a good clutch rebuilder could make that clutch good for 300HP by changing the pivot points on the diaphragm spring.
    I have a guy here in Oakville that does it all the time for me.
    That sounds like a better option to me, since I considered upgrading to vortec heads before selling the car. That should increase 20-30hp, since I'll have headers with no catalytic converters, and the 1986 heads restrict airflow quite a bit. I was hesitant about doing something like that and still staying on a clutch that's meant for an 80-107hp car. I'll look around locally and see what I can find. Thanks for the idea!