Thread: ally to steel tig rods

ally to steel tig rods

I'm skeptical... Have you tried it yet?

I have not tried it, but I do believe in welding ally to steel.
    When I just started out on cars, I bought a clap out old 1275 mini with a hot motor, It was our "party vehicle" as not to crash the nice cars in case of doing something stupid:-)
    The roof of this thing would come off, if you gave it a good kick from the inside as the driprails had rusted just about all the way around. So not knowing any better back then "which is sometimes a good thing" I got my hands on a gasless mig welder, cut the rails "gutters" of bit by bit, & welded some ally plates over the gaps.
    Did the bodywork, & gave it a nice B racing green spray job. It looked real nice with the smooth roof.
    I had the car for close to 10 years, of which was hard driving, then sold it to a guy in cape town. I saw the car a few years ago, & it was all still in one piece, with all the racing decals I put on it year ago.
    Surprisingly there were no cracks where the ally was joined to the steel body, maybe I was just lucky.
    I also think, as they explain, its in the type of steel & ally being welded, that makes it work, but I would not weld something structural this way, only panels.