Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a V12 setup we are planning

Need help with a V12 setup we are planning

Anyone have any advice on the following configuration. We have a client that just crashed a 2005 SL600 twin turbo V12. He wants to do a custom mid engine setup using the engine with a G50 transaxle? Has anyone had any experience using the MB v12's. I know this would be much easier with a BMW. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi.
    So far with my search for a gearbox that can take the torque of the na mb v12, every body I have spoken to suggests that none of the transaxles are strong enough.
    Friends of mine have a Porsche workshop up the road, that prepares race cars, & said not even the aftermarket sequentials last behind more than 600nm.
    Obviously it also depends on the driver of the car, & the weight of the whole thing.
    I'm going the countach route, with the motor behind the box, with a prop running back to a bmw m6 diff
    This way I can use the Toyota 6 speed, which seams to be able to handle anything.
    Not sure if you will have the space, but it seems to be the best way to go.
    cheers jose'

A pic of the setup, I got from lambolex some time ago.

What are you going to do about the sensors and anti theft system ? On the m275 the ecu shifter key and ignition switch must all be present and talking to each other to run, limits you to using oem transmission

You can run an aftermarket ECU that will get you around the engine management issues. I have to agree with JoseOSI, the bigger issue will be the gearbox, I would suggest looking for a Ricardo box from the Gallardo/ R8 they have survived more than 1000# of torque and can be found in RWD only but the front output on the AWD can be ignored

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    What are you going to do about the sensors and anti theft system ? On the m275 the ecu shifter key and ignition switch must all be present and talking to each other to run, limits you to using oem transmission
    I'm not worried about that too much. I can take care of the ECU issue. My main concern would be with the gearbox

Dillan at Griffin Gearbox was working on something that may work.

Have a look at the gearbox from the 2.7ltr tdi Audi A5, Very short and quite strong, it's also the right way round, gearbox number KXQ or LDC. They're the new generation audi box, I've got the 01X in mine running up with the audi v8 ABZ.
    just a suggestion
    D

Williamsport, Pa during the school year, Ottsville, PA otherwise.
    Hewland has a box for that.

http://www.hewland.com/svga/nlt.html