Thread: What engine to use?

What engine to use?

I have a Replica 1937 Jaguar SS100 kit car built on a 1976 Mustang II frame with a 1976 2.8L V6 mustang engine in it. I am trying to find a newer V6 with more power and better fuel economy to drop in it. Ideally, something that has the same bolt pattern. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's the nicest one I've ever seen! How about a Ford V6 eco boost? Probably not cheap and probably over kill.

I think a mustang 3.8 v6 from the 1999-2004 mustang will be the the most modern , powerful and cheapest solution.
    The mustang changed very little all those years and it should fit too. It has all the modern advancements like distributor less ignition

The earlier mustang v6 had 50 less horsepower and head gasket problems

The 3.8/4.0 v6s were in Aerostars and Rangers also. Did you solve your rear end problem yet? You should be able to find one from the same series of vehicles. I believe it's a Ford 8", but mine has a different case than yours. I have a 3.55 ratio in mine but you could also get a 3.08 or 2.79 ratio. I have been getting about 16mpg.

I also have an SS-100 by the same company(Antique & Classic Automotive, Inc. of Buffalo NY). And it has a 2.8 v6 with a C4 auto. The donor car was a '74 MII. Mine is set up a little differently than yours, but I did get the assembly manual when I got it in 2010 (95% complete but drivable). Would love to hear more details of yours.

Hey Pete,

Would love to see a picture of your SS100.

I bought this car about 2.5 years ago. It had been sitting out by the ocean, completely uncovered for 3.5 years. I put 400 hours into restoring it. This is my first car I have ever tried to restore and it has been a labor of love.

It's always nice to connect with someone else who has the same vehicle.

Cheers,
    Frank

Hi Frank,
    I've been lurking on this site for a while, waiting for someone to do a more current post. Where are you located? Since I got mine, I've seen 2 others, one just passing on the street, the other at a car show. Where I also heard of another with the rear engine (VW) chassis. The one at the show had a 4L v6, 5 speed.

I tried to upload photos from my computer, but have not been successful yet; as I can't figure out where the supposedly uploaded photo ends up and how to get it into the reply.

I've done some cosmetic upgrades - adding running board step pads (MG-T style), wind wings (Triumph style), ID plates, and interior mirror, and finished mounting the top & side curtains. And some mechanical work too - radiator work, fan replacement, brake line fixes, alternator mount, fuel line/tank fixes, wiring clean up (I hope!, but basically cutting out the extra wire & unused connectors from the donor car harness). I also created an Excel workbook, and multiple spreadsheets to track the project. I also did a lot of google research on the several SS-100 kits available. There is a possible new maker for our version (Eagle).

I got the car from the builder's grandson, who had helped him build it in 88-89. It was garaged most of its life, but there are lots of scratches in the gel coat body.

Pete

Frank, I forgot to ask, what wheels are you using? Mine has wire baskets over chrome rims, but I like to find real wires for it.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete356; 01-28-2017 at 03:00 PM.