Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front engine to rear help

Front engine to rear help

Hi guys

I'm from the uk and recently bought a countach replica. The guy I bought it from didn't do very well and the chassis snapped where it was so rusty that it's useless.

I am having my own chassis built to race spec with full racing certificate.

My problem so far is not understanding what engine and gearbox I can use to have the mounts made for. I'm new to this but following my dream of owning this car even if I can't afford the real thing.

I just want an idea how to convert a front engine to be in the rear. Do I need to stick to 2 wheel drive or is it possible to use a 4 wheel drive. I know I can just turn the whole thing around or I'll have loads of reverse gears and just one forward.

I would appreciate any ideas no matter how small they are to help me finally get started on this project.

The old chassis it was on was a vw beetle but have now completely stripped the car down so only using the fibre glass she'll

Rob

Can't turn engine round.
    Predictive text

Loads of ways to do it, look at JD's build- pug 406 coupe with the engine and transmission moved to the back
    I've mounted an audi v8 with a 01x audi box in a Mr2 mk3, this is a perfect match for a mid engine rear wheel drive.
    Mr2 mk2 2ltr turbo is another really cheap alternative, stick the rear of the car in there.
    Loads of other alternatives depending on time, budget and skills
    D

the biggest question is, is your wheelbase accurate. That will help with what could be suggested.

You could just take an engine and trans from a front wheel drive car, say a 2000 or newer impala and move it to the rear.

If you're building a "race spec" chassis it seems like you'd have more of a plan for what you want to power the car (no offense). Since you're going to all the effort and expense to make a nice chassis why not put an engine/trans in that suits the car? V12 or at least a v8 longitudinally mounted w/ audi or porsche transaxle. The weight distribution will be much better as it will be a true mid engine like the original car.

What is the wheelbase? If it was on a VW pan is it that length or was it stretched? The Countach has a shorter wheelbase than later Lambo models so fitting an engine is not as easy. The original car had the transmission in front of the engine with a driveshaft going back to the differential. A V8 can be installed with an Audi or Porsche transmission but a transverse drivetrain might be easier. What sort of HP and performance are you looking for?

Since you are in the uk are you limited to local engine choices (i.e. Not a large gm v8)?

The Peugeot 406 or Mercury cougar front wheel drive drive trains should fit perfectly - you just move them from the front of the car to the rear of your custom chassis

What does "Full racing certificate" mean? I am familiar with various racecar chassis but have never heard that term in the U.S., I tried to google it and the only reference that I could find was for jockeys.

I think its a UK thing. I don't think its MOT cert like for street car registration, but it might mean certified by the MSA as being qualified/safe for racing use in sanctioned events in the UK.
    I've had UK friends refer to roll cages and some chassis builds as being 'full spec' or 'certified for racing' and each time they were referring to MSA (which sounds to me like someone in the US making sure their drag car roll cage was done to NHRA specs in order to pass inspection at a track event).

TNH, Thank you for your answer but now I am more confused. What is MOT? Who are the MSA? There is no third party inspection for a chassis in either drag racing or Nascar, it is always done by the sanctioning body, take that from me as I have seven World Championships in NHRA and 53 Nascar starts. There is SFI, which certifies certain components like seatbelts, but only components. Attached are two of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 76mx; 03-11-2016 at 08:27 PM.