Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust sound

Exhaust sound

This may be a dumb question, but I'm not a mechanic, and I couldn't even find the answer on Google.

As background, I don't have a kit yet. I'm looking to buy a finished kit sometime in the next 6-12 months. I would like a Ferrari of some kind, and would like it to be fairly accurate (not a 100/100 lol ).

Most of the Fauxrari kits I have seen are on a Fiero chassis, and have a V6 or V8 engine. I don't know anyone who has a real Ferrari, so I don't know what they sound like IRL.

However, on YouTube, the "sound" of the engine or exhaust is different on a kit Ferrari than on a factory Ferrari, or at least on the Testarossa ... I love the look of that car, but the sound of that thing reminded me of a "ricer" Honda.

Sacrilegious? Maybe, but that's what I thought of when I watched an owner's review of a real Ferrari Testarossa. lol

I also like the 308, and saw a kit 308 on eBay. The owner had a video on YouTube. The engine was a V8, and sounded more like a "real 308", so maybe the exhaust sound is related to the engine type... I don't know.

Anyway, is there a way to make the engine of a kit car sound more like the engine of the "real" factory car? Special muffler, etc? Does the answer depend on what kind of engine I have (V6 / V8, etc) vs what is in the factory car?

I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by Drewbdo; 03-16-2016 at 09:51 AM.

If you're interested in having a replica car with a replica sound you really need to decide what car you want to build first because the engine choice will then largely be determined by what car you build. I completely agree that it's a shame when a nice replica car does not have the engine sound or performance to complement it.

Ferrari v8s (308,328,355,348,360,458 etc.) are for the most part flat plane crank v8s which have a different firing order from cross plane crank v8s (American v8). This, along with the low displacement is why they sound so different than a v8 in a corvette or mustang, and IMO impossible to replicate short of using an original flat plane crank engine $$,$$$. a v6 is the closest sound.

Ferrari v6 (dino) sound is not hard to replicate, many small v6s could be good candidates.
    Ferrari v12/flat12 sound is not hard to replicate either, long tube headers on a bmw, jag, or mercedes v12 and down draft carburetor setup if you want the classic Ferrari throaty/howly induction sound. Some iniline 6's have similar although more raspy less growly sound. This is generally an expensive venture though.

The exhaust system on a car is similar to a trumpet or tuba (musical instrument) and can be tuned to sound pretty much any way you want.
    The exhaust is just a bunch of tubes and mostly hollow cans (mufflers) that you can shorten, lengthen, widen or shrink in diameter to get the sound you want. The problem is it takes lots of trial, error, pipe bending and money to replicate another manufactures sound. Most builders do not have time for all that and there is little profit in doing it.

I've driven an Aventador and that v12 is a unique very high pitch symphony! To be honest going by sound the Toyota v6 and BMW v10 seem to get close to the that note. I have a stock 93 LT1 with stock headers and open exhaust, not even close to that v12 but unque.

I really only use the car for driving to shows and cruising. So with that in mind I would now lean towards that v12 sound.

I think I would go with a Toyota v6 or if it was in the budget the Bmw v10 but a transaxle/clutch combo must hold up for either option.

That wedge shape on the highway puts huge force for a long period on a clutch. Especially the Countach.

At the shows I always get questions on the motor. They all want the v12. It would be fun to start the Toyota have them guess say with the v12 engine cover installed and after they guess a v12 lift the cover to reviel the Toyota. Its a let down but most enjoy the cars and I always let them know its a replica so the engine note is just more fun.

Go for the note!

Quote Originally Posted by 275NART View Post
    If you're interested in having a replica car with a replica sound you really need to decide what car you want to build first because the engine choice will then largely be determined by what car you build. I completely agree that it's a shame when a nice replica car does not have the engine sound or performance to complement it.

Ferrari v8s (308,328,355,348,360,458 etc.) are for the most part flat plane crank v8s which have a different firing order from cross plane crank v8s (American v8). This, along with the low displacement is why they sound so different than a v8 in a corvette or mustang, and IMO impossible to replicate short of using an original flat plane crank engine $$,$$$. a v6 is the closest sound.

Ferrari v6 (dino) sound is not hard to replicate, many small v6s could be good candidates.
    Ferrari v12/flat12 sound is not hard to replicate either, long tube headers on a bmw, jag, or mercedes v12 and down draft carburetor setup if you want the classic Ferrari throaty/howly induction sound. Some iniline 6's have similar although more raspy less growly sound. This is generally an expensive venture though.
    OK. That is good information. I guess once I have a kit car, then I'll ask the question again. I think the car will either be a V6 or V8. I doubt I have the money for a V10 or V12 converted kit.

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    The exhaust system on a car is similar to a trumpet or tuba (musical instrument) and can be tuned to sound pretty much any way you want.
    The exhaust is just a bunch of tubes and mostly hollow cans (mufflers) that you can shorten, lengthen, widen or shrink in diameter to get the sound you want. The problem is it takes lots of trial, error, pipe bending and money to replicate another manufactures sound. Most builders do not have time for all that and there is little profit in doing it.
    Hmm.. Now that is a really cool way of looking at it. I never thought about the analogy to a musical instrument. Good insight! Thank you for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by 88.5countach View Post
    I've driven an Aventador and that v12 is a unique very high pitch symphony! To be honest going by sound the Toyota v6 and BMW v10 seem to get close to the that note. I have a stock 93 LT1 with stock headers and open exhaust, not even close to that v12 but unque.

I really only use the car for driving to shows and cruising. So with that in mind I would now lean towards that v12 sound.

I think I would go with a Toyota v6 or if it was in the budget the Bmw v10 but a transaxle/clutch combo must hold up for either option.

That wedge shape on the highway puts huge force for a long period on a clutch. Especially the Countach.

At the shows I always get questions on the motor. They all want the v12. It would be fun to start the Toyota have them guess say with the v12 engine cover installed and after they guess a v12 lift the cover to reviel the Toyota. Its a let down but most enjoy the cars and I always let them know its a replica so the engine note is just more fun.

Go for the note!
    Thank you for the reply! You mentioned an open exhaust... Does that mean you don't have a catalytic converter or muffler? Wow... I bet that car is Harley-Davidson loud. lol

So, who manufactured the LT1 engine? Sorry, I am still pretty new. I haven't really looked at kit cars in the past 20 years until a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbdo:220337
    Quote Originally Posted by 88.5countach View Post

Go for the note!
    Thank you for the reply! You mentioned an open exhaust... Does that mean you don't have a catalytic converter or muffler? Wow... I bet that car is Harley-Davidson loud. lol

So, who manufactured the LT1 engine? Sorry, I am still pretty new. I haven't really looked at kit cars in the past 20 years until a few weeks ago.
    Chevy V8 out of a 93 Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER View Post
    Musical instrument is right. I struggled with the exhaust sound for my Diablo. I didn't want it to sound really loud like a hot rod with cut outs, but I did want some sense of the engine. After internet listening to a lot of exhausts, I ended up with Corsa's. Not cheap and full stainless, but they give a really deep throaty purr at idle and a nice growl when you get on the pedal. Problem is they are big and I struggled to pack them into that tiny space with the headers. Had to fabricate shields and tape the pipes to control the heat. I think it's the size of them, like a tuba, that gives them that deep rich sound.

180* headers on the V8 make a huge difference too. It gives more if the "exotic sound" If you search for bundle of snakes or gt40 exhaust you should find a few examples