Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy reasonably priced used kit cars from in Australia

Where to buy reasonably priced used kit cars from in Australia

Hey there.

I'm new to the whole kit car thing, I was going to build something up from scratch but someone suggested to grab a used kit car and upgrade that to my liking which honestly was a better idea than what I previously had as most of the hard work was done for me.

Anyway, I don't really know where to find used kit cars from hence why I'm here.

I'm currently in the "Getting ready" stages, I still need to get some mechanics. bodywork, aerodynamics etc books for learning material.

I am somewhat mechanically knowledgeable, but not enough to be able to build a frame up from scratch which is why I'm going down this path,, plus,, it's a learning experience too.

Thanks for any help.

ps: I'm not sure if this is the right section to put this.

I think it's going to be difficult to get a kit car in Australia , I can't imagine there are many for sale

A car from the uk may be your best bet since they are right hand drive . I don't know what the importation rules are for kit cars so be sure to study that

What's your budget ? DNA in the UK would be your best bet as they are reputable builders , contact them . They have quite a nice variety of cars including a Ferrari California based on a retractable power hardtop mercedes sl500
    Last edited by cutlass442; 03-20-2016 at 11:04 PM.

I didn't think it would be difficult to get a kit car here?

I could look into overseas stuff I guess assuming it doesn't end up costing too much.

I was thinking between 5,000 and 10k AUD for something with a 2-5 liter v8 or v6.

Lol 5-10000 aud will get you the shipping .

Good luck finding a running car anywhere near that price

Good kit cars are not cheap . $50k aud on up

well I'm only looking for a project car, I don't care how many k's it has done.

I'm not going to spend 50k or more on it.

For starting off I'm only looking for something small to start on.

If I where you. I would contact Adam Adam from Mini Classic Car in Thailand.
    He can proberly help you, and he is not far away from you either. He has about 15 diffrent models to chose from. If I remeber correct.
    He can be easy contacted on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/attila.adam.986?fref=ts

His cars look like cartoon cars

I think I need to clarify something.

What I am looking for, is either used kit cars or projects didn't work out mainly so I have a rolling chassis, I don't want to get something built up from scratch as it will inflate the cost too much.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the help and who knows, maybe later on down the track what suggestions have been made currently will help, but I am looking for some used and abused kit cars primarily to have something already with engine, suspension gearbox etc for me to improve upon, however, my first main goal is making my own design for the body, not making a replica of already in production cars.

I hope I don't across as rude in this post because I do appreciate the help a lot, otherwise I'd have no clue where to look.

Check ebay, they have cars in your area.
    Here's a gallardo project in melborne:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lamborghi...kAAOSwFqJWtHvk
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Oh you want to build your own custom body ? That's very very different !

Your best bet in that case is simply to find a good donor car local to you and start cutting .
    Convertibles make good kit car candidates as the roof structure is already removed

See DNA kit cars, they use a BMW z3 and Mercedes sl500 as donor cars to make vintage and new Ferrari California replicas . You basically just take off the fenders , hood and trunk then put on your custom body

I don't know how much these cars sell for in your area but you should be able to get a BMW z3 cheap