Thread: Contact Adhesive

Contact Adhesive

Hi There!
    I used to have a FiberFab Jamaican which was built in the late 60s. Whatever adhesive was used to bond the interior vinyl was very strong. I couldn't pull the stuff off without tearing the heavy gauge vinyl. I recently spent a huge amount of time bonding vinyl to my dashboard, and applied the adhesive just as it stated on the can. (Scotch/ 3M) It looked great for several months until I rolled it out in the sun today. It is now separating from the fiberglass in several places . Anybody got a suggestion where I can get a heavy duty adhesive for this. I am very disappointed in the strength of the stuff I used. Thanks.

There are several different types of contact adhesive that will work well for your application. The best thing to do is go to an upholstery shop and see what they recommend, they will be able to tell you exactly what you need and where to get it.
    Without talent experience is worthless

Were you using 3M 77 adhesive? They make a bunch of types, but I've always had luck with that one. I'd be surprised if warming it up could cause it to break grip, assuming the surface was prepared properly. Fiberglass epoxy normally has wax in it that floats to the surface when curing. You would need to strip that carefully to get any adhesive to stick.

Smile

Thanks for your response. The entire dashboard was body-worked, sanded and painted before I used the adhesive, so there wasn't any surface wax left on the fiberglass. I am not sure exactly what number was on the can of contact adhesive, but I will look to see if I still have the can. If it is not 3M#77, then I will consider giving it a try.

Did you apply the glue to both the dash and the vinyl? Sometimes it doesn't as well when applied to only one side.

Hi there! I met an old man who was a cobbler. I posed my problem to him, and he recommended Barges Super stick poly contact cement. When I glued the vinyl with this stuff, I had pull so hard that it ripped the vinyl in places. I won't know for sure until it sits in the sun this summer, but it looks very promising. The bond seems many times stronger than the 3m stuff I used.

Most upholsters (trimmers) use Weldwood Landau Top and Trim Contact Adhesive to assemble door cards, dash boards and etc. It's available in gallon cans and 5 gal pails. You will also need a cheep spray gun to apply it. Apply a good coat to the base and the vinyl. Let it dry like you would other contact cement and assemble. The spray can versions don't stick that well. Good for things like headliners, not for upholstery.