Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: radiator questions

radiator questions

I have a Countach replica that im redoing, the radiator is slanted back, with the fan under the radiator pulling air down and back. I just put a 350 v8 in the car and wanting to redo the cooling up front. I know this is an issue everyone has worked on, so I thought I would start with experienced advice instead of trying stuff that everyone has already done. I live in south Texas and its very hot and cooling is an issue, the car is a stretched Fiero v8 automatic, so here are my questions....
    1.will the current set up work? or do I have to reposition it?
    2. can I run 2 radiators up front slanted and staggered , but in line?
    3. would it do any good to custom build a radiator to fill the whole front compartment?

Any help would be great! thanks so much.

More surface area is better than thicker. Install the largest radiator that you can fit into the available space and make sure you install ducting in front to force as much air as possible through the radiator. You also need to make sure there is adequate air flow for the air to get out the back side of the radiator.

Scarabdrew,
    Answer your first question before you redo it. A Fiero radiator probably will not cool a V-8 but install the new engine then test the old radiator before you rip it out. There are three easy fixes that are the reason for most overheating. First the fan shroud has to be all the way against the radiator and the fan. Leave a 1/16" and the air will take the path of least resistance, none will go through the radiator. It is hard to see in this picture, but there is an extra strip just inside the tanks that completely seals it. Second, get a grille mesh big enough for airflow. 80% open area will not necessarily equate to 80% airflow. Some 80% flows good, some not at all. Everyone I know has made the mistake of putting 1/4" screen in a racecar. It will not flow at all. Put an electric room fan in front of a window screen and feel the other side, nothing comes through. Now do it with a 3/8 mesh and it all comes through. Third, make sure that the radiator has a bleed valve instead of a cap and that the cap is at the highest part of the system. If not, the trapped air will give air to air heat transfer, the only thing worse than the inefficient water to air transfer of a radiator. I prefer this stock item Afco aluminum radiator and use it in all of my builds. It is only 16" tall but it is 27" wide. It is four core and is double pass, which means that it is already two radiators in line like you asked about. It comes standard with a bleed valve and is very reasonably priced at a few hundred dollars.

Why can I only upload pictures every other day?
    Last edited by 76mx; 05-28-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: add picture

Charlie, thats because you arent holding your mouth right when you do it

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post

Why can I only upload pictures every other day?
    It's the shirts.... the internet can only be exposed to so many photons at a time you know... ;-)

Scarabdrew, there's a very good discussion, and resolution, of V8 cooling in this lengthy thread here:

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9648

K9

Let me try it on an odd numbered day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WHAT? I wasn't wearing a shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    WHAT? I wasn't wearing a shirt!
    That's even worse...."Charley - a shirtless guy trying to upload pictures on mm"....You broke the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by IKAROS View Post
    That's even worse...."Charley - a shirtless guy trying to upload pictures on mm"....You broke the internet...
    I didn't want to say it... and I'd just eaten....

Anyways, we may be drifting slightly off the original thread here. I say again, to help understand the concept, read that motorgeeks thread. Andy Hillyard (Hilly) is an exceptional engineer, as is Charley (shirts notwithstanding), and I think that a solution will be found with them...

K9

Thanks for the humor, but what about the current position of the radiator now? It seems most are flat with the fan on top and not like mine