Thread: How to make something happen automatically on ignition.

How to make something happen automatically on ignition.

I just want to have a motor automatically move something when i start the ignition of my car.

how hard is this? the car is based on a peugeot 206.

I thought here might be the place to ask since i am a member already.

Connect it to the hot side of the ignition - a bit like your head unit for your stereo. That will probably have an 'always on' circuit as well as an ignition on circuit. Depending on the draw amps you could connect it through there. Maybe do away with the cigarette lighter and fit it from that live????

It really depends on the draw as to where the source power should come from. It's tough to say exactly as you don't give too many details.

Things could get interesting if you need it to cycle and stop and don't forget to fit a fuse!

I'm sure more people can help if you are a little more specific. If you don't want to share what it is, then maybe give some idea of what power, amps and volts you are after and whether it needs to stop once it has cycled.

Hope this kind of helps...

I've not problem sharing what it is, it's nothing top secret, just a little boring. I have those awful pop/flex type rear windows on a peugeot 206. I never open them, but i wanted them to open on ignition turn and close when i switch off. I'm sure i can find a type of motor that could do it on a switch, "but how about automatically on ignition" i thought. If i can manage that i would go back and have attempt a tablet rise/lower on ignition too.

I am not a mechanic and I'm not great with this stuff, i managed to make my aftermarket head unit do this, but with a loom bought online, i managed to wire in some daylight running lights too, but on a switch (gave up trying to activate those on ignition)

Maybe use servos from rc planes & a cirquit to open and close when you turn on & off the ignition?Just an idea....

Here's athought.

Quote Originally Posted by IKAROS View Post
    Maybe use servos from rc planes & a cirquit to open and close when you turn on & off the ignition?Just an idea....
    Some cars automatically drop the windows a touch when you open the door (DB9 etc), maybe you could modify that system (it's only old Ford bits) to open your windows with ignition on, and close them with ignition off. It may be a slightly more complicated mod than you think, but there is some serous skill on here. If people mention 'coding', don't be put off because again, there is some serious skill on here and a willingness to help.

Have a research on here about moving the 'bat wings' on Murcielago replicas, and also there's a couple guys (I think) that are using the Boxster spoiler deployment motors for similar stuff. Those Boxster parts are way cheaper than you might think. A lot if it is just getting the correct input 'signal' to the mechanism..

K9
    Last edited by K9COP; 06-05-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo

Bloodmeal you should be able to find a circuit to do that here. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram25.html

If you want automatic slight lowering of windows upon entry and exit to get tighter sealing , DEI makes a module for their alarm system which does this

Didnt read thread...
    but just wanted to share that leaving the over head ceiling bulb switch on would trigger a hacked motor when the car starts and to stop that motor you just flick the light switch off.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

youll probably need to build a separate system using an arduino, some micro switches and some servo or stepper motors. youll program the arduino to activate the motors when it recieves 12v from your ignition, and to stop motor when it hits a switch. then when it stops receiving 12 volts with the ignition off, to run the motor the other way until it hits a switch.