Thread: Question on sealed lights

Question on sealed lights

Does anyone know a method to split a set of lights (motorcycle raptor headlights) without damaging them. The light appears to be able to split but there must be some kind of adhesive. Any suggestions.?

Thanks
    Mike

Some lights use a permanent sealant and some use a butyl rubber sealant like windshields. The permanent seal type usually have to be cut open. Can I ask why you need to open them? Are you performing an HID retrofit conversion?

Search "Baking Headlights" on Youtube. There is many videos explaining temperature and time needed to make them separate and then you can clean them up and re-seal them. It's pretty easy. Many people do this to paint the inside and have it be black or match the car paint. Good luck!

Can I ask why you need to open them? Are you performing an HID retrofit conversion?

I would like to open them up in order to integrate the turn signal lights. What can I use to cut them open with the least amount of damage?

Thanks
    Mike

Mike,

What vehicle are the lights from? Can you post a photo? If they are factory lamps with polycarbonate lenses putting them in the oven to try to soften the sealant at about 250*f would be my suggestion. If they are aftermarket/kit car lights this may not be a smart decision given the construction materials. Acrylic will soften and sag at this temperature.