Thread: Countach turn signal lense cover attachment question

Countach turn signal lense cover attachment question

I bought a set of very nice replica covers from a member here, I believe they are plexi. my question is how to attach them. I don't think I want to screw them down (due to cracks and or screw heads) so I was looking for some input. Glue? if so what type. I just want to get an idea what worked and what didn't. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by scarabdrew View Post
    I bought a set of very nice replica covers from a member here, I believe they are plexi. my question is how to attach them. I don't think I want to screw them down (due to cracks and or screw heads) so I was looking for some input. Glue? if so what type. I just want to get an idea what worked and what didn't. Thanks in advance
    Hi,

It depends on the frames you are using.

I wouldn't glue them down as you will need access, you will get some rubbish collecting in them and want to remove them to clean

While the originals are actually glued down, AcC8braman has great point, debris can get in there unless it's completely sealed from the elements. I think we're in a better position to use silicone because we are adhering the lense to a fiberglass part, so should adhere better than the originals. ...

Wills right, the originals are urethane'd down, like most other parts on the car! I'm going through the motions of having metal turn signal buckets made now, that will be removable, but even so, if you can take the light out the back and get in there with a small flexi rubber hose on a vacuum cleaner, you should be fine.

K9

Yuppers, just like k9 said, you remove the signal light and go in from behind to clean the housing/bucket of debris, just like oem

This thread is for a Countach, but would this idea also work for my Testarossa?

Is there any specific kind of plexiglass, or just generic from Lowe's / Home Depot?

How thick should the plexi be?

The previous owner installed some kind of black rubber "frame"... maybe pieces of weather stripping? Not sure what he used as glue around the rubber pieces. Do they make black silicone sealer?

Thanks for the help every one

Thank you everyone for all of your help, they turned out great.......now the project continues
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Frames should be 3/8 " width all the way around the perimeter