Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam CNC for 3000gt project!

Talking Foam CNC for 3000gt project!

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum but have been looking through threads for the past few years! definitely a great community with awesome builds and information! I have a 3000gt sitting in my driveway and decided to do a custom build! i have currently hired a 3d designer and the models are coming out great! But now to make it a reality (once it's done) . trying to get just parts cut in the foam blocks to make molds and then to make peices. I'm in NY and looking for a relatively cheap way to get the parts made. as of right now its a trunk extension piece two rear humps similar to koenigsegg humps, a rear bumper, front bunper and fender flares similar to liberty walk kits! any information, referrals or suggestions would be greatly expected. Ca't wait to hear what you guys have to say. Once i Figure these things out and start I'll definitely be putting a build thread!

Bobmundo, this is an expensive process no matter how you do it, but here is a first cost cutting suggestion. Foam is overrated and expensive, you can do the same thing and have comparable results using MDF board from Home Depot at a fraction of the cost of high density modeling foam. Once you have your models, I have the capability to CNC your plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by 76mx View Post
    Bobmundo, this is an expensive process no matter how you do it, but here is a first cost cutting suggestion. Foam is overrated and expensive, you can do the same thing and have comparable results using MDF board from Home Depot at a fraction of the cost of high density modeling foam. Once you have your models, I have the capability to CNC your plugs.
    Id love to hear your process! how can i contact you directly? i'm unfamiliar with the MDF process.

It is the same process, just using MDF instead f foam to make the mold plugs. PM sent with contact info.

enlighten me on how half inch mdf at 20 dollars a piece is cheaper than extruded polystyrene at 25 dollars for 2 inches? not to mention styrofoam is extremely faster and easier to cut.
    Last edited by ncrazyballa; 09-06-2016 at 11:15 PM.

In that case it is not. Where are you getting 4x8x2" extruded polystyrene for $25 a sheet? And what density is it? On second thought, never mind the density, at that price I would like to buy some regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrazyballa View Post
    enlighten me on how half inch mdf at 20 dollars a piece is cheaper than extruded polystyrene at 25 dollars for 2 inches? not to mention styrofoam is extremely faster and easier to cut.

are you guys cutting sheets and then just gluing them together? do you have a vid link just to have a better idea of it?

Hi
    I'm by no means an expert but I have had a fair amount of usage in foam " see my Ferrari 288 GTO build"
    i found a foam used by door manufacturers for the inner core it is sold at lumber yards in 4x8 sheets in 3"& 4" thicknesses for $40 Canadian. The only thing making it difficult to use is is attaching it to the car so you can contour sanded to the desired shape . What I found works for this is two part foam which sticks to everything and fills in the voids in behind.
    I have used two part foam For a lot of my build and it works well although extreamly messy to work with in its liquid form.
    Both foams can be fibreglassed with no negative reactions.
    hope this helps.
    wayne

In that case it is not. Where are you getting 4x8x2" extruded polystyrene for $25 a sheet? And what density is it? On second thought, never mind the density, at that price I would like to buy some regardless.
    at any menards or home depot. thats if you want to be fancy and use the pink stuff. you can even use the expanded poly styrofoam which is the white stuff for 12 dollars for 2" sheets.
    Last edited by ncrazyballa; 09-07-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dobie44 View Post
    Hi
    I'm by no means an expert but I have had a fair amount of usage in foam " see my Ferrari 288 GTO build"
    i found a foam used by door manufacturers for the inner core it is sold at lumber yards in 4x8 sheets in 3"& 4" thicknesses for $40 Canadian. The only thing making it difficult to use is is attaching it to the car so you can contour sanded to the desired shape . What I found works for this is two part foam which sticks to everything and fills in the voids in behind.
    I have used two part foam For a lot of my build and it works well although extreamly messy to work with in its liquid form.
    Both foams can be fibreglassed with no negative reactions.
    hope this helps.
    wayne
    what's the name of this material, my friend?