Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mid engine 4wd/awd

mid engine 4wd/awd

I thought of making a mid engine car before by taking the front of a scrap car and weld it at the back and it is what I am probably gona do but I have some questions from a friend about making a awd mid engine car from a fwd car
    Can u take a fwd engine with all the parts mount it at the middle and connect the left and right part from te original dif to one at the front and one at the back so u can give power to all 4 wheals in a budget ? ( again I say parts are cheap and easy to find from any scrapyard in a good quality )
    Is it possible or worth it ?

that was helpfull 😴

What many people have done is take a front wheel drive front engine setup and move it to the Mid engine location

But no one has done that and then made it 4 wheel drive .

You might as well just put a second engine and fwd transmission in the mid engine location , that's been done before and you'll have 4 wheel drive
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.roada...?client=safari
    Last edited by cutlass442; 12-07-2016 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cutlass442 View Post
    What many people have done is take a front wheel drive front engine setup and move it to the Mid engine location

But no one has done that and then made it 4 wheel drive .

You might as well just put a second engine and fwd transmission in the mid engine location , that's been done before and you'll have 4 wheel drive
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.roada...?client=safari
    i ve seen cars like these many times but They are heavy and need much more money than ordering custom shafts and difs for one engine At the moment a simple mid engine formula like car is the plan to go But 4wd is better for the gravel we have here
    I gave my plans on my friend for that project I am gona just buy a manual 1st gen civic after christmas :P and i am really busy too
    SO i am just asking now for that friend .
    the idea i have sounds right but i have to know if the original gearbox and dif that is designed for 2 wheals can handle powering all 4 of them
    Or if it even can handle the 2 extra difs without braking

.... how are you planning to get an additional output to drive the rear wheels from any civic?

There are only a few ways to get AWD
    1) drivetrain from a truck, audi, subaru (traditional front engine configuration)
    2) drive train from a Porsche (rear engined configuration)
    3) custom (mid engine) divorced transfer case

Honda CR-V is a four wheel drive civic

The only drivetrain I would think could be easily adapted is a newer awd porsche, but that is rear engine not mid engine, and probably cost prohibitive. Why AWD?

The idea of mounting a transverse drivetrain in the rear and setting it sideways so that the outputs are to the front and rear has some merit and has been discussed before. The issue is that the front and rear differentials would have to be 1:1 or you would have a top speed of about 30MPH. I think you would also need some sort of LSD in the transmission or most of the power would go to which ever axle had the least traction.

Quote Originally Posted by 275NART View Post
    The only drivetrain I would think could be easily adapted is a newer awd porsche, but that is rear engine not mid engine, and probably cost prohibitive. Why AWD?
    the reason its simple
    Gravel dirt and mud
    And i know alternatives But i need to know if that works

Quote Originally Posted by txbuilder View Post
    The idea of mounting a transverse drivetrain in the rear and setting it sideways so that the outputs are to the front and rear has some merit and has been discussed before. The issue is that the front and rear differentials would have to be 1:1 or you would have a top speed of about 30MPH. I think you would also need some sort of LSD in the transmission or most of the power would go to which ever axle had the least traction.
    Yes the lsd for the first its easy Even a weld or locked one wiill be better
    But if thats the case i will need to order custom diffs for all 3 needed
    Can i use A track gearbox that has a diff on the side for both rear and front drive with custom axle to take everythink at the middle again
    Or thats even bigger pain at the a!@ ?