Thread: rear glow tail and brake lights

rear glow tail and brake lights

Does anyone know how modern cars get the lights to have that glow look to them. Thats my next big change is the way my rear lights currently look as they look dated and quite kitcar like. I wasnt to build some more modern looking ones.

Ive linked a photo (although photoshop) I found else where on the forum from Ikaros to show you the style I mean

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/q...psy3nuy6ww.jpg

It can be done with LED arrays via a PWM (pulse width modulator)
    Another way to do it is to use a trick with diffusing the light- light tubes with a frosted or faceted face. Most of these use a single LED on each end of the tube. Early 2000s bwms often used compact fluorescent in the headlights and taillights but that is not something simple to retrofit.

Or just arilic cover on leds

It almost looks like they are using indirect lighting to get the nice smooth glow. Ive used a similar technique for creating back lighting and illumination. The concept is simple and can be adapted for the exact shape that your looking for. Typically, Ill 3D print the extruded channel that follows the shape of light that you want and paint the inside bright white. Along one of the walls ill mount super bright LED tape strip. You can use Acrylic sheet for the lid. Sand blast and mask off a non painted area of the lens to only allow light to shine through in a specific size and shape. Ill try to post an image to show a cross section.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekbot View Post
    It almost looks like they are using indirect lighting to get the nice smooth glow. Ive used a similar technique for creating back lighting and illumination. The concept is simple and can be adapted for the exact shape that your looking for. Typically, Ill 3D print the extruded channel that follows the shape of light that you want and paint the inside bright white. Along one of the walls ill mount super bright LED tape strip. You can use Acrylic sheet for the lid. Sand blast and mask off a non painted area of the lens to only allow light to shine through in a specific size and shape. Ill try to post an image to show a cross section.
    That would be good if you could, cheers

Ausi uses a lot of direct leds to get their brightness up and has a frosted lense. Ive used a sheet of lexan and then sprayed SEM matte clear on both sides. That way the light is diffused and has time to pass through both sides to be diffused twice. Also having your light source 5-6" back will also help get that perfect smooth light. I used a 3/4" piece of lexan and then carved the actual lens from that to make it look like a real light. Best thjng to do is just grab the materials and start playing with them. You can get cheap leds at the auto parts store.