Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxster donor ideas

If your going to do a supercar look 0n your boxster, your going to need a 11" TO 12" stretch. Gemballa bought some wicked cars to the Geneva show last week. I'm going to steal some of their ideals for my mirage clone
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by madmods View Post
    If your going to do a supercar look 0n your boxster, your going to need a 11" TO 12" stretch. Gemballa bought some wicked cars to the Geneva show last week. I'm going to steal some of their ideals for my mirage clone
    Since I'm going to be on the track (road tracks like Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway, Buttonwillow, etc) with this car I do not want to modify the chassis in that way. Just too risky as far as structural integrity, not to mention it would probably add some considerable flex, and reduce torsional rigidity (neither are good for a track car). Let me know if you think differently. I guess I could mount some additional roll-cage style enforcements, but still not sure about that route.

Also I'm now looking at Porsche-look modifications, so not a traditional supercar look, and a GT3 has about the same wheelbase.

Thanks!

S.

yeah too bad there isn't more built around the boxster, esp with performance and LS swaps available?

more of a serious track car:

http://www.superlitecars.com/slc/

the factory five GTM is ripe for a body design revamp too IMHO. maybe a good platform for a supercar design?
    Last edited by funexec; 03-14-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funexec View Post
    yeah too bad there isn't more built around the boxster, esp with performance and LS swaps available?

more of a serious track car:

http://www.superlitecars.com/slc/

the factory five GTM is ripe for a body design revamp too IMHO. maybe a good platform for a supercar design?
    Yea, I seriously looked at the SL-C and LeMans from SuperLite Cars. The SL-C is a coupe so for me that's out. The LeMans is open top, but while I like the front, the flat rear looks so dated. The cockpit style and unusual windscreen doesn't help..

As for the F5 GTM, I had looked at that too. However, because it's not open top, and looks somewhat dated too, I ended up dismissing that one too.

Right now I'm investigating a modified Z-top style top for the Boxster (but make it in to a targa design). I would modify the engine bay to reveal more of the engine (so more of it can be seen through the Z-top glass - very similar to the Audi R8 design), then the usual GT3 treatment on the body panels, front bumper, flared arches to accommodate wider wheels (both functionally for the additional power and visually for the look), etc.

Biggest issue is getting my hands on a Z-top in reasonable time - seems that the current ones out there are made in China and will likely take 2 months+ to get to me. A long time to wait to test out how it might look/work.

Thanks!

S.

I would love to build an R8 replica on the boxster,
    I have a 98 986 that I am in the process of slotting an Audi 4.2 v8 in,
    body is missing a lot of bits and it owes me next to nothing how it sits now,
    would need to be stretched approx 200mm to be accurate and the front screen is in the wrong spot,
    at least it would be semi accurate with mid mount v8, BTW R8s in Australia are still $120 up,
    I have PM'd a member here for plans to build a plug so maybe in the spare time I dont have I might be able to look into it,
    Cheers Russ...

Quote Originally Posted by rusty69911 View Post
    I would love to build an R8 replica on the boxster,
    I have a 98 986 that I am in the process of slotting an Audi 4.2 v8 in,
    body is missing a lot of bits and it owes me next to nothing how it sits now,
    would need to be stretched approx 200mm to be accurate and the front screen is in the wrong spot,
    at least it would be semi accurate with mid mount v8, BTW R8s in Australia are still $120 up,
    I have PM'd a member here for plans to build a plug so maybe in the spare time I dont have I might be able to look into it,
    Cheers Russ...
    seems like a good idea