Thread: Terminology? Replica or Recreation

Terminology? Replica or Recreation

Hello everyone

I'm a new user, been reading for a while. I finally decided to make an account and post my question.

I've been thinking about the different termonology used in this world.
    Kitcar, is pretty straight for me to grasp. The real difficult one for me is the distinction between Replica and Recreation.
    What I'm thinking is that a Recreation is made with the original plans, maybe the same company.

Replica however I'm thinking more like a almost fully identical creation probably with upgraded components etc.

I would like to get your imputs, to kniw what you consider Replica or Recreation.

Cheers
    Bo

Bo, don't forget a tribute!

My understanding is that a replica is built to look like an original with replicated parts, where a recreation is built from OEM and NOS parts as the original was. Don't know how the industry sees it but my $.02

I think you'll be hard pressed to find universally accepted definitions... who even holds the authority to define such things? I think most people in the industry however, would find Infinitewill's definitions to make sense.

Don't even know the term Tribute
    Something like a Silhouette racecar?

I know there isn't an official authority on the subject and thanks for your replies!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Handskemager View Post
    Hello everyone

I'm a new user, been reading for a while. I finally decided to make an account and post my question.

I've been thinking about the different termonology used in this world.
    Kitcar, is pretty straight for me to grasp. The real difficult one for me is the distinction between Replica and Recreation.
    What I'm thinking is that a Recreation is made with the original plans, maybe the same company.

Replica however I'm thinking more like a almost fully identical creation probably with upgraded components etc.

I would like to get your imputs, to kniw what you consider Replica or Recreation.

Cheers
    Bo
    Bo welcome to the forum!

Hear is my 2 cents:

Recreation: seems to me this is a term the big auction houses came up with do differentiate say a 69 Boss 429 fastback created with real OEM part (essentially a to factory representation) but was not born from the factory as such.

Replica: is as close as you can come to the vehicle you are trying to replicate with the parts, and resources available, often starting with a Kit car or as some don't like "kit", Component car...

Tribute: I see as more of a modern version of a classic, like when Ford did the "GT" in tribute to the GT40. Looks like the old car but modern touches inside and out.

As you could see depending on what your looking at some of these terms could be used together to add to the confusion.

Just realized I used nothing by Ford's as references and I'm a GM guy.....how'd that happen .

Todd

I've seen the word "Bespoke" used for one-offs, "replica" seems to be a term shouted by haters these days. Recreation, in an attempt to try to sell with a higher price