Thread: Time to make some plugs....finished my 5 axis CNC router

Time to make some plugs....finished my 5 axis CNC router

Hi All,

I've been on the forum for awhile but have not posted before but I finally have cause to post. I finished my DIY 5 axis CNC router. I plan on making a number of different plugs over the coming years and I decided that making a machine like this would come in handy. Let me know what you think.

Cutting envelope 6 x 8 x 6

Cheers,
    XS

https://www.facebook.com/xsmotorwork...1183533941512/
    Last edited by XS_Motorworks; 05-22-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar
    nice machine ,have you cut any parts,that you can show
    Last edited by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER; 05-22-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

very nice man. going to build mine soon.

I haven't made any body parts yet. I have made a number of measurable geometrical shapes that where used to insure the steps and post processor were setup correctly. Not sure if you know about 5 axis but it requires kinematics which is the math needed to hold the tip in the correct 3D space. If you buy a machine they take care of the setup but as a DIY it took time to configure. Anyway I will be cutting soon and will start a build thread.

ncrazyballa...if you plan on build a it yourself you will need to look into post processors. I am using Mastercam and have had to mod the 5 axis post processor. The machine itself is currently driven by Mach4 (the post processors doesn't work will with Mach3) but its a bit buggie.

Quote Originally Posted by XS_Motorworks View Post
    I haven't made any body parts yet. I have made a number of measurable geometrical shapes that where used to insure the steps and post processor were setup correctly. Not sure if you know about 5 axis but it requires kinematics which is the math needed to hold the tip in the correct 3D space. If you buy a machine they take care of the setup but as a DIY it took time to configure. Anyway I will be cutting soon and will start a build thread.

ncrazyballa...if you plan on build a it yourself you will need to look into post processors. I am using Mastercam and have had to mod the 5 axis post processor. The machine itself is currently driven by Mach4 (the post processors doesn't work will with Mach3) but its a bit buggie.
    thanks for the advice. i do have a copy of mach4 and rhinocam that can handle 5 axis milling but have yet dove into the settings. Ill try out mastercam. did you design and build your own 4th 5th axis head?
    Last edited by ncrazyballa; 05-24-2018 at 05:08 AM.

If your using rhinocam you will need to contact MecSoft tech support so they can create you a custom post processor as the one it comes with is generic and will not work. I started with an outdated unsupported version of Rhino so I either had to pay them or use Mastercam which I had access to. Before you contact them you will need to know the exact offset of your pivot points or your post processor will produce really crappy results. Plus side is Rhino PP supports Mach3. Mach3 is old but very reliable. Another options is to use linuxcnc. It has a kinematics engine so you wouldn't have to do it in Rhino.

The b/c drive was made by http://doughtydrive.com/...so far I have had no problem with it b/c drive.

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by XS_Motorworks View Post
    If your using rhinocam you will need to contact MecSoft tech support so they can create you a custom post processor as the one it comes with is generic and will not work. I started with an outdated unsupported version of Rhino so I either had to pay them or use Mastercam which I had access to. Before you contact them you will need to know the exact offset of your pivot points or your post processor will produce really crappy results. Plus side is Rhino PP supports Mach3. Mach3 is old but very reliable. Another options is to use linuxcnc. It has a kinematics engine so you wouldn't have to do it in Rhino.

The b/c drive was made by http://doughtydrive.com/...so far I have had no problem with it b/c drive.

Good luck...
    thanks for the info, im sure ill run into many problems.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

awesome rig dude.

Well its not a car part....I was testing out the 5 axis movement...This is a Halo Helmet