Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid Mount slow engine with th400 questions

Mid Mount slow engine with th400 questions

I am looking to mount the 5.3 ls in y build as a mid mount. The transmission will be the th400. Does anyone have a link that explains the best process for doing this conversion? Thanks in advance.

I understand the basics of moving the engine back and shortening the drive shaft. My question is how would I make it so I was able to shift the vehicle.

If you use a cable shifter, you can mount the shifter anywhere.

Thatís what I was thinking, I just wanted to confirm. Thank you

WK, if you use that Turbo 400 instead of a transaxle, even if you connect the pumpkin directly to the transmission tailshaft and do away with the driveshaft entirely instead of shortening it, it is still going to be about seven feet from the axle centerline to the front of your engine accessory pulleys. Unless you are only two feet tall, or unless you plan on a 180" or more wheelbase, something has got to give. On the brighter side, a Hurst Ratchet Shifter is cable operated and will do exactly what you want and is made for that transmission.

I recall a guy built a car for the Grassroots motorsports challenge a few years back did it with a 98 Camaro and made it look like a Porsche 917-30. He cut the whole floor out, moved the steering way forward and center seat position and used an LS motor, auto trans with the Camaro axle. Here are some other builds with the same concept

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopi...93af17a5ac0b20 26a4e685b3d6

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...questions.html

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mod...es-c9-his-shed

RaceCar Replica's and Mongoose have also done some with the C5 Corvette trans/diff

the real question is what are you trying to build???? How long is the wheelbase going to be?

The goal of the car is to use the frame from an f150 extended bed and build the body from the ground up. The plan is to build a car that looks a little like a countach, a little like an Audi R8, and a little like a Lola mk6. I am just trying to determine the best way to mid mount the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinKnight View Post
    The goal of the car is to use the frame from an f150 extended bed and build the body from the ground up. The plan is to build a car that looks a little like a Countach, a little like an Audi R8, and a little like a Lola mk6. I am just trying to determine the best way to mid mount the engine.
    I thought you were serious until your last post. I'm not trying to be facetious, but you can't possibly believe the F150 frame can be used to build a sports car along the lines of a Countach, R8, or Lola.

For starters, you'll never get the frame of the F150 under anything that comes close to resembling any of those car's bodies. The truck frame is a massive, thick-walled, heavy ladder frame chassis with a wheelbase anywhere from 125" to 163" depending on the model of the frame. The Countach's is a whopping 3 to 5 feet(!) shorter at 96.5". It isn't just a matter of cutting it down and re-welding it either. You'd have to completely redesign both suspensions to accommodate the mid engine driveline, drop the frame radically (up to 6"), meaning you'd need to completely redesign the control arms, springs, and shocks, if not much more. Then you'd have to narrow the frame, re-profile it around the four corners, and you'd still have a bare, grossly overweight ladder frame.

Then you'd need to design a complete steel structure to sit on the frame to hold the body, doors, hood, and rear deck lid in place. Have a look at some of the tube chassis for Countachs out there and you'll see what you'd need to design just to hold everything in place. The big difference is that those tube chassis are all you would really need in the first place... without the F150 frame.

There are so many reasons not to go down this route, but if you're still really sure you want to do it, then I'd start by overlaying scale drawings or photos of a Countach from the front, side and top view onto the same scale images of the Ford truck frame. There are lots of images on Google to do this with. Then you'll get a better visual of just how much work you're in for.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton View Post
    the real question is what are you trying to build???? How long is the wheelbase going to be?
    Good question Adrian. Maybe we should also ask about the overall design philosophy here and why what little (transmission and frame) we know of those design choices seems to have started out so blatantly wrong?