Thread: Suggestions for heating a warped GRP panel

Suggestions for heating a warped GRP panel

Gents
    I have an expensive piece of fiberglass molding on a Porsche project Iím trying to complete and it seems to be slightly warped.

I canít really afford to replace it and Iím not sure the replacement would be any better anyway.

Iím thinking I need to heat it and then force it to take a set in the new slightly twisted (from where it is now) state.

What sort of temp would you recommend for it not to creep back. Once in place, it will be bolted, but think I need to get the twist out of it first. I have a temp controlled hot air gun, but to compound matters, two moldings meet and are bonded at this point (probably the cause of the twist).

Offending panel with my foot stopping the twisting

Any suggestions or advice very warmly welcomed!

Thanks
    Munky

...and yes, Iím still working on the panel gaps!
    Last edited by MunkyKing; 07-31-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Assuming the panel s 3/8' or thicker on the back side grind 1/4" deep grooves in a grid pattern over the twisted area. heat the panel and apply a coat of shredded fibreglass & resin (putty like mixture) in and over the cut grooves. Lay up a solid piece of mat over the whole area. Quickly bolt panel in final place on vehicle (brace if needed) so fiberglass cures and holds panel in proper place. no added heat needed let cure on its own. IMHO

Thanks for that.
    Iím guessing itís the back of the panel I would put the grooves in?
    Thanks again.
    Munky

I believe CARBUILDER is spot on, I have had success with using a torpedo heater to heat large areas evenly, then set the panel in the final shape to cool....only problem is it's summer!
    Good luck.

Thanks HaveMerci
    Iíve been wondering what sort of temperature that takes and whether it would creep back over time.
    I once saw someone reshape a hood cover using a torpedo heater and wondered if it might warp back on a hot day in the sun. They were pretty reputable guys though, so wondered if that way might be credible.