Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suspension

suspension

Has any used a c6 rear suspension, my TR kit front is fiero but has been back halfed and all tube steel in back, to get a wider tire under back I am thinking of trying to fit a c6 rear setup and also using the same front and rear on my Diablo, any tips/pointers on what to look out for?
    Last edited by jb1; 05-04-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Arrow C5 suspension used in GTO

I used C5 suspension in my GTO.

I used coilovers so instead of fiberglass leaf spring so I could adjust ride height and spring size. I don't have the car on the road yet so I can't give an impression of it under use, but there were no real issues during construction. I don't know how different the C6 suspension is but I'd guess it's fairly similar.

I used the full aluminum cradle and the upper A arm/shock mounts from the C5 frame. It worked OK but these pieces are heavier than they need to be. If I were to do it again, I might fab them myself just to save some weight.

Front suspension is also C5.

Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

The Factory Five GTM uses the C5 suspension and I hear the C6 is pretty much the same. The only thing I have against the Corvette suspension parts is that they are rather bulky and heavier than necessary like C5GTO says. I know some of the GTM builders have complained that it also limits them on wheel selection as they have to be designed for the Corvette.

C5gto , great work.. thank you for sharing pics and info.

TXbuilder , thanks for info , I really want to get away from the fiero suspension.. the diablo is a custom chassis and the back half of the 512 is custom , I am not the original builder and don't understand why someone would go to that extent on both cars to throw fiero suspension under them....

No clue, but I'm here to learn as well so I'm going through a lot of the topics currently to soak up as much as i possibly can. Hope you figure this one out!

Quote Originally Posted by jb1 View Post
    I really want to get away from the fiero suspension.. I am not the original builder and don't understand why someone would go to that extent on both cars to throw fiero suspension under them....
    Do your cars currently have '84-'87 suspensions or '88? If they're based on an '88's suspension, there's a fair bit that can be done to mask their roots and improve performance and appearance. I went through an exercise studying the kinematics of the stock '88 suspension, then developed a 5-link pushrod design for the rear using only the '88 rear knuckles and calipers. It hasn't proven its chops yet on the road since I'm still building the car, but I did analyze and post many of the most important characteristics of its operation.

If you're not familiar with my project, you can check out some glam photos of the rear design here in my blog: https://bloozeown.weebly.com/showcase.html

If you're interested in reading more about it, you can start reading here at post #35 up to about post #49 (just be aware the posts are in reverse chronological order): https://bloozeown.weebly.com/rear-en...nsion-design/3

If you hunt around, you'll find the series of posts where I completely reworked the front suspension as well.

Dave.

I watched Bloozeberry go through the whole analysis and I am very confident he will come out with an amazing suspension setup. He did all the work on a stretched Fiero chassis as well so it can be done. Not for the feint of heart though I caution....

When trying to look at Corvette suspension in a Fiero base, the biggest issues are the length of the control arms as the Fiero is quite a bit shorter so moving those arm mounts inwards can be very tricky on the Fiero. Now, given that most of our replicas need wider stances anyway, the longer control arms aid in the moving the out of the tires to remove the spacers.

For the rear end of the TR, given it is all custom tubing, adding a C5 or C6 rear hubs and control arms would be easier to do with coil overs but fitting C5 or 6 into the Fiero front end will be more problematic. I am doing an analysis with a buddy right now to see if we can figure out a C5 front suspension into a Fiero frame starting with more or less original mounting locations. First issue we see is that we will be cutting a bunch of the wheel wells out to fit the larger Corvette centre frame and need to look at the control arm angles to ensure the car is a the correct height. We believe the control arm lengths will help with the track though as he needs a couple inches on each side to fit the wider fenders. Early stages on that analysis but proceeding.

Any more info here would be great for people to share.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I am very familiar with Bloozeberrys build.... I want to add wood floors in my shop after seeing his.. lol being both of my are essentially tube on the back half the rear of the TR was widened and no way to fit a 12-13" wide wheel under there with the field struts.. I worry more about front I am.not opposed to having 2 different lug patterns but would prefer not.. not like be able to rotate wheels and tires anyways.. was thinking it would also help with better handling..

C5gto , great work.. thank you for sharing pics and info.

TXbuilder , thanks for info , I really want to get away from the fiero suspension.. the diablo is a custom chassis and the back half of the 512 is custom , I am not the original builder and don't understand why someone would go to that extent on both cars to throw fiero suspension under them....
    That's actually a pretty easy one to answer. A lot of builders just want the looks, not the performance of the car they are replicating. One can tell by the number of stock motors made to look the part.

As for the Fiero suspension, again, unless one plans on serious use like the original, is good for everyday use and can be made better with larger brakes, coil-overs, and fixing the bump steer.

And, FWIW, I would replace it all too, if I had the cash.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Bob
    Plan is longitude setup in both cars.. which will make suspension swap a bit easier than attempting with transverse setup.. I have 3 other fieros besides these 2 kits.. I'll drive them if want fiero handling ..Lol..
    Im not sure the c5/c6 setup is best choice but from looking them over seems to be the simplest upgrade..
    Very cool. Please keep us updated on the progress. I'd like to see how you do it. If nothing else, the C5/C6 setup should be readily available. I've looked at the C4 hardware in my local salvage yard (they had 3), but right now it's a pipe dream.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif