Thread: VAG Driveshafts

VAG Driveshafts

Hi
    I have a question about Audi/VW driveshafts, running gear and hubs.
    Does anyone know if the driveshaft to transaxle flanges are common? i.e. will any VAG drive shaft fit to any VAG transaxle, and equally at the other end, will any VAG driveshaft hub spline fit into any VAG stub axle/hub?
    I am not looking at transverse mounted engines and trannies.
    I have seen a rear subframe from an Audi a5 quattro and would like to use the suspension mounts, a frames, hubs and callipers connected to A4 2.5tdi fwd driveshafts to my 1.8T Passat engine and transaxle
    For my Zonda project I made up some adapters to fit Ford driveshafts and running gear to an Audi A4 transaxle, on this project I would like to as much as possible stick to only Audi/VW parts
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

I can tell you that the Audi 016 driveshaft flanges are identical to BMW 750iL. I used BMW 750 axles in my project.
    http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/...rts/index.html
    I made adapters with used flanges on the outboard ends to adapt to the GM wheel bearing.
    Best thing is, I can buy an axle CV shaft anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner View Post
    I can tell you that the Audi 016 driveshaft flanges are identical to BMW 750iL. I used BMW 750 axles in my project.
    http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/...rts/index.html
    I made adapters with used flanges on the outboard ends to adapt to the GM wheel bearing.
    Best thing is, I can buy an axle CV shaft anywhere.
    Thank you. I found that all Audi shafts seem to be interchangeable.
    I have used an Audi A4 B7 Quattro rear subframe and hubs and A4 front driveshafts and a 1.8T AWT Audi engine and transaxle, all mated up rather nicely.. That has been grafted to the rear of a Triumph Spitfire chassis
    At the front I have used BMW 1 series brakes and hubs
    Last edited by nicktruman; 08-20-2019 at 07:34 AM.