Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arg! Power door locks!

Arg! Power door locks!

Here's the story:
    I installed my alarm system as well as some aftermarket door lock actuators. Although the actuators extended/contracted when I hit the lock/unlock button, they were not powerful enough to unlock the door(they'd only move fully once I dis-attached them from the door locks).

I was told to replace them, so I went to a different store and bought a different brand. Same problem.

Then someone suggested to upgrade my locks from 84' to 85+. So I bought a pair of doorlocks from someone who had a 85+ parts car and had them shipped to me, and.... they are exactly the same as my current locks! Regardless, I installed them anyways, and their was, of course, no change.

I've tried white grease without luck as well. They aren't jammed or anything, they just require more force then any actuator is willing to put out!

Any ideas?

Re: Arg! Power door locks!

Ari, my actuators are original GM. They are not very strong but certainly strong enough to whip the lock open or closed.... Stupid question for you... I assume you have hooked these actuators up with a remote of some sort... Are you using relays??? Are the relays producing enough amperage? In other words, are the actuators benefiting from enough amps to produce a strong pull/push???
    just a thought, Sandy
    PS: there are companies that build high amp actuators($$$), but in a lock/unlock mode, you should not need these

That's what I was thinking too - I'm going to check the relays/wiring again, maybe their defunct or something :P

I agree with cowans, Double check your wiring and relays. If you need a bigger / stronger acuator try www.autoloc.com they have some great stuff.

I don't know whick alarm system you are using but some have to short of a power on timer and they just don;t let the motor stroke all the way to open or close the lock. try putting power directly to the actuators for a second and see what they do. I had this problem also and a friend of mine built some curcuit to wire in and it fires a little bit longer than what the alarm did, it is wired in to the relay. I also understand some of the better alarms can be programed to fire longer. check yours it maybe able to be done that way.
    Hope you get working OK.
    FieroDon@cfl.rr.com<br />www.Fiero.us<br />FieroDon<br />86 SE<br />87 GT (factory blue)<br />88 GT<br /> http://home.cfl.rr.com/donsfieros/images/SIG.JPG

Well, I redid my relay wiring as shown below and have a new problem: I placed a "quickfuse" at the 12v constant, and it blows whenever I turn on the car. Yet when I hit the unlock/lock button on the alarm remote the proper relays do click. I was thinking I might have used the wrong fuse, but shouldn't 25 amps be enough? Any ideas?

Ari, look at your diagram! You've got 85/86 mixed up!. The righthand relay #85 & 86 are wired reversed!!!
    Here's how a + trigger output is set up...
    #30= positive trigger output(going to lock/unlock wires)
    #85 & 87= 12 volts from battery
    #86= output from controller channel(remote), usually -500ma.
    +12 Volts from battery is supplied to terminals 87 and 85 on SPDT relay to boost and change current imput from controller channel....
    hope this helps!
    Sandy

Thanks Sandy!
    I'll try that tomorrow
    I really have to stop following the instructions I find on the internet so blindly... !

BTW My alarm puts out a negative charge...
    I found the diagaram above at http://www.miata.net/garage/pwrlock.htm

I just came upon this:

Ari, I believe the last diagram to be correct, although you don't have to wire up 87a(ground).
    "BTW My alarm puts out a negative charge... "
    Great! Here's what happens....
    your negative impulse(from your alarm)((approx 500ma)), going through #85, producing 20-30amps at #30 (which is output to an actuator).
    2 relays, 1 for lock, 1 for unlock.
    'clear as mud'
    Sandy