Thread: Argh! Code 21! (TPS Sensor)

Argh! Code 21! (TPS Sensor)

Well, decided to check my error codes today, and aside from the brake light being on I also got code 21: TPS sensor. Going to go to Canadian tire (The only auto part store open sunday as far as I know) and check out how much it will cost just to replace it tomorrow.

Anyone know if this could be related to my 2000rpm idle?

Re: Argh! Code 21! (TPS Sensor)

Most definately related! I went through a similar problem...

Just don't be absolutely sure that everything is toast if the TPS replacement doesn't fix it right off. The Idle Air Control Valve is closely related to the TPS so they both can send each other off. The funny thing is that both are extremely fragile so be very careful when installing them.

Just a note too... the TPS is cheap. Around $30 US while the IAC valve is spendy. Around $100 US.

Spraying them with water or dropping them will foul them!

Once you install them, UNPLUG THE BATTTERY FOR AT LEAST 2 MINUTES!!! It takes that long to clear the ECU of their previous settings. If you don't clear the ECU memory, it will run your new TPS and IAC at the old, broken settings and nothing will change.

Another indicator of high idle is vacuum leaks. If, after you fix the TPS and/or IAC, the idle is still "up there", check the system for vacuum leaks with a dishsoap and water solution. Make is VERY soapy and use a small brush and slather it around each of the seams in the vacuum system. If there's a leak, bubbles will blow!

Head gasket leaks will cause odd idle as well. However, is tends to run up and down irregularly. Also, your oil will begin to look like a Mocha Espresso!

Good luck with your search and let us know how it turns out!

DKOV -

Not to step on DKRV's info, but a vaccum line will not produce bubbles from soap water. It is a VACCUM that means it is sucking in not blowing out unless you have a REALLY bad problem. The easy way is to spray WD40 on the vaccum lines and fitings do a small section at a time (the engine has to be running for this) and when the idle drops you most likely have found the spot. Make repair and you should be good until next time. If your lines are bad you can get replacement metal ones from Rodney Dickman as this URL http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html
    Also check EGR tube and make sure it is not rusted out or cracked this can also cause a high idle.
    Good Luck.
    FieroDon@cfl.rr.com<br />www.Fiero.us<br />FieroDon<br />86 SE<br />87 GT (factory blue)<br />88 GT<br /> http://home.cfl.rr.com/donsfieros/images/SIG.JPG

HA!!! You're right!!! I was completely backwards!!!

How stupid of me!

That is totally funny!!!

DKOV -

Just an update for everyone: I replaced the TPS, EGR and MAP and now it idles perfectly.
    Thanks all!
    Ari